Show us your Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

This is my Dawes from the 1990's, at the time a clubmate of mine worked for Dawes and got me the frame, I can't remember what it cost me, and I built it up, it was a 22" frame and slightly to big but I rode it for years and I did some excellent rides on it

dawes 2.jpeg

somewhere around 2004, on a Friday, I had a puncture and dropped into the LBS on the way home for a new tube, I came out with a Dawes Giro, a 16 speed that was my Sunday best for many years.

dawes 3.jpeg

In the mid 60's I had a paper round and used the money to buy a Dawes Kingpin on HP with my Dad standing guarantor, it was about 5 bob a week.

097 David Reynolds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gasinayr

Über Member
My Vantage on the Crieff road. Great bike !

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 99
That's the blue one,the purple one has never had mudguards while I have owned it.

Multicyclist

Regular
Not seeing a thread for these bikes already I thought I'd start one.

I have a soft spot for Dawes as what I consider my first proper bike was a junior Kingpin. I'm on my third cycle from them now, not too long ago finally acquiring the Galaxy that I've lusted after since those Kingpin days:

View attachment 352275

Mine is from the late 90s and I'm told was made to measure for the previous owner at extra cost. I've made a fair few changes to turn it into the bike I want and absolutely love how smooth and fast it rides.:wub:

So, what have you got from this great British brand?

Not one for the purists I'm afraid! My 2006 Dawes Hybrid (Colorado) bought as a cheap hack Hybrid, I immediately noticed it's massive tyre clearance, soo. Project monstercross began. 29er mtb wheels with 29x1.75" Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres, surly cross-check forks, 8 speed non series brifters hooked to some relic 80's mtb cantilever brajes, mtb 26-32-46 chainset, 11x30 out back & for the full freakshow look (& superb control offroad) some On-One Midge handlebars & a 120mm Ritchey stem. I'v been using it like this for a fair few years with serious offroad use (2x coast to coast, loaded) & it's not broken. Respect to Dawes & their cheap frames.
20170902_121337-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Not one for the purists I'm afraid! My 2006 Dawes Hybrid (Colorado) bought as a cheap hack Hybrid, I immediately noticed it's massive tyre clearance, soo. Project monstercross began. 29er mtb wheels with 29x1.75" Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres, surly cross-check forks, 8 speed non series brifters hooked to some relic 80's mtb cantilever brajes, mtb 26-32-46 chainset, 11x30 out back & for the full freakshow look (& superb control offroad) some On-One Midge handlebars & a 120mm Ritchey stem. I'v been using it like this for a fair few years with serious offroad use (2x coast to coast, loaded) & it's not broken. Respect to Dawes & their cheap frames.
View attachment 384195

Hello @Multicyclist, what wheelset did you buy for this, ive something similar but cant find anything non disc

cheers in advance

Multicyclist

Regular
Hello @Multicyclist, what wheelset did you buy for this, ive something similar but cant find anything non disc

cheers in advance

Hi,
I didn't actually buy the wheels (separately) the wheels were leftover wheels from an upgrade on an old Whistle 29er mtb. I upgraded its wheels to shimano mt55's (disc only) & put these whistle branded (but Alex rimmed really) wheels on the Dawes. It was a build from old bits. I appreciate your problem, i'v looked for better wheels after realising how much I enjoyed riding the bike & there's not much out there except cheap hybrid type wheels or too narrow rimmed cx wheels. Sorry I can't help.

Hi,
I didn't actually buy the wheels (separately) the wheels were leftover wheels from an upgrade on an old Whistle 29er mtb. I upgraded its wheels to shimano mt55's (disc only) & put these whistle branded (but Alex rimmed really) wheels on the Dawes. It was a build from old bits. I appreciate your problem, i'v looked for better wheels after realising how much I enjoyed riding the bike & there's not much out there except cheap hybrid type wheels or too narrow rimmed cx wheels. Sorry I can't help.

Thanks for taking the time anyway

Top Bottom