Show us your Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wasn't sure if this thread was just for road bikes, but now I've seen hybrids and small-wheelers I'm going to go for it.

While I prefer my road bike I also love riding this Discovery 701 for a change. I have used it with no problems on hilly 40/50 mile trips around the Gower coast and the Brecon Beacons - the gearing is much lower than my Genesis. The only thing that remains from the original is the frame. I built it up from old mtb components and a Specialized carbon fork, had it powder coated and made up decals from the internet.

20190611_193148.jpg

gasinayr

Über Member
Lol, just a standard 80's set up really, Crankset is 52-42, Cassette is 13-23, running on the Shimergo principle with Campag 10 spd Brifters, works well and always a good conversation starter.
Looks bigger than 52 at the front !

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Dawes Eclipse City, fenders and rack, and a basket for the front. Current BikesDirect model, which I found in the basement of the bicycle co-op, sans rear wheel, seat post, and other bits as it was being used as a donor. I removed the twist shifters and replaced with snap shifters, and replaced the Tourney RD with an Alivio.
dawes-with-basket-and-rack.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Those frames look exactly the same as a Galaxy to me in proportions & geometry. It's a bit on the big side though with the saddle that low. I'd be wary of that - for obvious reasons! :eek:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It is Reynolds 500 frame.

Do you notice any difference in ride feel between that and a 531 frame?
I've got a close-clearance Dawes road frame in 500 cro-moly left over after I stripped a parts donor purchase recently. Looks to have the same dimensions and geometry as my 531 Jaguar.

Do you notice any difference in ride feel between that and a 531 frame?
I've got a close-clearance Dawes road frame in 500 cro-moly left over after I stripped a parts donor purchase recently. Looks to have the same dimensions and geometry as my 531 Jaguar.
I'm not too sure. I have bikes with different frames ,wheels and gears and unless I was able to do a direct comparison I couldn't really say.
I find that despite the frame being a bit on the large side I don't feel stretched either up or down or for and aft . It feels quite comfortable .
I can't really see why my friend couldn't get on with it. I think the rear mech needs a good clean and lubricating as it feels like there is some drag there.
I think the main differences in ride and feel are down to wheels, tyres and gearing . It is just getting the right combination that's suits you .

bigjim

Legendary Member
My Dawes seems to be doing all the winter duties at the moment. Cold and damp ride at the weekend.
Dawes and Harry Hill.jpg

As nobody has posted a picture of a Red Feather I thought I would post mine .
I found it discarded in some brambles where people usually fly tip. The bike had been in a fire at some time in the past, The front tyre had burnt away and had burnt the paint off the front forks and front part of the frame which had become very rusty. I managed to clean up the bike and salvaged most of the parts but borrowed some alloy wheels. It rides really nicely.

IMGP2767 (2).JPG

Top Bottom