Show us your Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't know of any Dawes fork suppliers. However the fork is a standard 1 1/8 steel hybrid/touring fork. If you really need to replace it, then there are a lot of generic ones on ebay and the occasional Dawes ones. I would be tempted to fit something like a Surly LHT fork, or even a Disk trucker one if you fancied converting to a front disc brake.

I don't know of any Dawes fork suppliers. However the fork is a standard 1 1/8 steel hybrid/touring fork. If you really need to replace it, then there are a lot of generic ones on ebay and the occasional Dawes ones. I would be tempted to fit something like a Surly LHT fork, or even a Disk trucker one if you fancied converting to a front disc brake.

Thanks for taking the time, don't need too yet but like to keep options open

JhnBssll

Veteran
My mums red feather after I had rescued it from her shed and given it some TLC :smile:

20190206_205444.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
View attachment 452727 The old Dawes eagerly waiting at a gate. Mid eighties and still has the original tyres!

That's very nice! :thumbsup: What is it, an Imperial? I see it's got 531 forks as well as frame. My Dawes is, I suspect, within a couple of years age of yours but 531 frame only with hi-tensile forks. Been harder used too, at least one wheel not original and the tyres were toast so I fitted some 28mm Marathons. Still way lighter than any of my others even with those tyres. Don't regret buying it at all, and not a sloping top tube in sight!

southcoast

Über Member
That's very nice! :thumbsup: What is it, an Imperial? I see it's got 531 forks as well as frame. My Dawes is, I suspect, within a couple of years age of yours but 531 frame only with hi-tensile forks. Been harder used too, at least one wheel not original and the tyres were toast so I fitted some 28mm Marathons. Still way lighter than any of my others even with those tyres. Don't regret buying it at all, and not a sloping top tube in sight!

The Dawes Jaguar was a very nice sports bike. I remember seeing one in a bike shop back in the day. Be good to see a picture.
Yes it’s a late model imperial.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Dawes Jaguar was a very nice sports bike. .

I wasn't familiar with them at all until I got mine. I was actually on the lookout for a late-ish Galaxy with canti brakes, but they were mostly either silly money and local or cheaper but a hundred miles away. Then I was offered the Jaguar at the right money and local, so after being advised by @midlife that it would handle OK and not be too naughty, I took a punt. Turned out to be a good choice, handling is quite lively without being alarming. I've decided to use it as a fair weather rides bike and not bother with mudguards.

OP
OP
Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It followed me home, honest..... :whistle::

DSC0007458.jpg

My latest N+1 - This is the shopper version of the Kingpin, identifiable by the boring colour and the extra rack on the front.

Showing its age a little bit (the hub markings tell me it's forty years old this year) but underneath the shabby paint, slight surface corrosion and caked-on oily muck seems to be a solid bike that should be good for use as a fun runabout and hopefully will make an interesting project in the longer term.

I had hoped to be out making a start on cleaning and fettling it up today but I've managed to hurt my hip (don't know how) so have been hobbling round with a stick instead.:thumbsdown:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It followed me home, honest..... :whistle::

View attachment 469560
My latest N+1 - This is the shopper version of the Kingpin, identifiable by the boring colour and the extra rack on the front.

Showing its age a little bit (the hub markings tell me it's forty years old this year) but underneath the shabby paint, slight surface corrosion and caked-on oily muck seems to be a solid bike that should be good for use as a fun runabout and hopefully will make an interesting project in the longer term.

I had hoped to be out making a start on cleaning and fettling it up today but I've managed to hurt my hip (don't know how) so have been hobbling round with a stick instead.:thumbsdown:

The best of all the shopper bikes that. Looking forward to seeing seeing done up. Hope you’re hip gets better.

Edit: Nice bag on the back too.

southcoast

Über Member
Lol, just a standard 80's set up really, Crankset is 52-42, Cassette is 13-23, running on the Shimergo principle with Campag 10 spd Brifters, works well and always a good conversation starter.

The imperial when new came with 12-21 7 speed freewheel and 42-52 cranksets, gear range 49-116! Lol

Top Bottom