Show us your Dawes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
20180306_111104.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A 200 giro that has just arrived

IMG_20180422_175949503.jpg

suzeworld

Veteran
Here is my first Dawes, Super Galaxy, which I had for many years. In these photos I was doing my first attempts at climbing on Alpine mountains. The yellow coat one is my first ever Alp and the other one was taken near the top of Mont Ventoux. Later on, people said to me "why did you not even take any stuff off that bike?"
Honest answer: it never crossed my mind! Now I do moutains on a carbon fibre Trek with no mudguards, etc. But I was so happy breaking new ground on my bike, this trusty Dawes!

I spotted this Dawes Double Blue in a charity bike workshop. I couldn't resist it!
I have discovered that it is from 1964 which
IMGP9678.JPG
PICT0453.JPG
was the last year of production for that model prior to introduction of the Galaxy. The Double Blue model was reintroduced some time later.
I think the lugs were made by Haden. The engraved handlebars are Dawes Concorde.
Since buying it I have done a few improvements and have fitted a new pair of chrome front forks.

Attachments

• IMGP9675.JPG
    IMGP9675.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP9677.JPG
    IMGP9677.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
D

Deleted member 1258

I spotted this Dawes Double Blue in a charity bike workshop. I couldn't resist it!
I have discovered that it is from 1964 which View attachment 452432 View attachment 452431 was the last year of production for that model prior to introduction of the Galaxy. The Double Blue model was reintroduced some time later.
I think the lugs were made by Haden. The engraved handlebars are Dawes Concorde.
Since buying it I have done a few improvements and have fitted a new pair of chrome front forks.

Those handlebars are lovely

Here's mine newest, bought last year and am very happy with it. I bought it from a local charity that takes in bikes and resells them. in the process training people with new skills.

its very comfortable and smooth. whoever owned it before me looked after it and I will be doing the same. if I could only had one bike, this would likely be the one

I need to replace the front brakes but that can wait.
Horizon.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Here's mine newest, bought last year and am very happy with it. I bought it from a local charity that takes in bikes and resells them. in the process training people with new skills.

its very comfortable and smooth. whoever owned it before me looked after it and I will be doing the same. if I could only had one bike, this would likely be the one

I need to replace the front brakes but that can wait. View attachment 452441
Lovely bikes those horizons. My friend has one and she really likes it, even with full camping loads. :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I spotted this Dawes Double Blue in a charity bike workshop. I couldn't resist it! I have discovered that it is from 1964 which View attachment 452431 was the last year of production for that model prior to introduction of the Galaxy. .

I'm a little biased, owning two Dawes myself but I really do like that picture, the setting and the bike just go together.

Must find somewhere scenic to take a shot of my Jaguar, late 80's though, a bit less vintage than yours. Compared to everything else I own its 531 frame and lack of mudguards or rack make it feel really light.

Lovely bikes those horizons. My friend has one and she really likes it, even with full camping loads. :smile:

I agree totally, I haven't had the chance to tour on it yet, that's later this year but fully loaded it's really stable and smooth.

I paid less than half the price than I would have for a 2nd hand galaxy and tbh, I'm glad this came up.

I bought the saddle from a fellow cc'er and it's perfect. It made a good bike super comfy.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I agree totally, I haven't had the chance to tour on it yet, that's later this year but fully loaded it's really stable and smooth.

I paid less than half the price than I would have for a 2nd hand galaxy and tbh, I'm glad this came up.

I bought the saddle from a fellow cc'er and it's perfect. It made a good bike super comfy.

Actually I've just noticed yours is the steel Horizon (hers is identically painted but 6061 Alu), so it's very like mine. Galaxies in 531 might be a tiny bit lighter, but 520 frames make very good tourers.

20170328_134508.jpg

It has. I think it's for mounting a bottle dynamo.

One upgrade I've made to the bike was to replace the front canti. First I tried the long drop 720 in that picture, but better is the Tektro RX-5 mini v I have now.

I thought something similar re the forks but wasn't sure.

I did the same as the front brake was knackered when I bought the bike.

Do you know of a supplier that may have replacement forks? There isn't a Dawes stockist near me although I have approached Dawes directly previously about a different matter And they were pretty helpful, but not very knowledgeable about the history of their own products. although it's a different company and set up now of course

Top Bottom