show us your helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You prove the point again Cuchilo. All the abuse and personal digs come from the helmet wearers, and this has been true in every similar thread, sadly.

And Licramite has done the same.
It wasn't abuse or a personal dig . It was an observation on my part that Adrian isn't all there and I decided to leave him to try and have fights on the internet with someone else .
Now , what makes you assume that I am a helmet wearer ?

anothersam

SMIDSMe
*Considers elaborate picture set up where I pose with strategically placed cycling helmet*
*Considers physique*
*Reconsiders first thought*

Size is so important with helmets

streaker.jpg

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Well it does pee me off when this thread is about showing us your helmet, not lets debate the efficacy of helmets, - but some people just cannot resist thumping the old tub can they.

if you want to debate helmets go find a thread that does and as Arigorn said at the door to Mordor - "Yes one day we will debate helmets and yes One day the moderator will not step in and stop us, - but this is not that day! "

now show us your helmet.

doog

But Adrian is 'all there', as all those of us who know him can attest. He also doesn't make abusive comments about people who choose to wear helmets.

The point of all this is that he, and others who choose not to wear a helmet, don't care whether you wear one or not. We just wish to make the argument that helmets are unproven as a safety device, and that the idea that not wearing one is stupid is the thin end of a very damaging wedge.

I havent seen any abuse on this thread, just banter. In addition I know people who dont wear helmets (my son, my daughters/ work colleagues ) and they've never been called stupid..where the hell do you get this idea from ?

The damaged helmet on this thread, you were also on the ride I understand - did it or did it not protect the riders head? If it did then surely its a proven safety device...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
They don't, but unless you show us your helmet or your bonce your on the wrong thread.
Here we go a picture of my balding pate, as you can see I have suffered an injury. This happened yesterday when I banged my head on a cupboard, if only I had been........

Head.jpg

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I havent seen any abuse on this thread, just banter. In addition I know people who dont wear helmets (my son, my daughters/ work colleagues ) and they've never been called stupid..where the hell do you get this idea from ?
Personal experience for me @doog and I believe for others here too. I've been called every kind of stupid for not wearing a helmet, I've had people shout out of cars at me because I wasn't wearing a helmet, I've even been threatened with physical violence for not wearing one. My ride buddy wears a helmet, he believes they should be compulsary, although it's not something we discuss we find plenty of other things to talk about. I ride with him around 4 or 5 times a week although through the summer he does a weekly ride with a group of his friends. He has asked me on a number of occasions to come along and the ride organiser has also asked him to tell me that I would be more than welcome to join them, but I am reluctant because whilst I would very much like to go on the rides with them I know what the reaction will be if I turned up sans helmet. Shame really.

doog

. It might have saved him some road rash, but that makes it no more of a 'safety device' than a pair of gloves.

It sounds like protection to me. In many walks of life (including cycling ) gloves are a proven safety device - why is a helmet exempt ? More to the point will Cubist continue wearing a helmet or is he happy to risk a chunk of his scalp being left behind in future ?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It sounds like protection to me. In many walks of life (including cycling ) gloves are a proven safety device - why is a helmet exempt ? More to the point will Cubist continue wearing a helmet or is he happy to risk a chunk of his scalp being left behind in future ?
You're right it does. However, there are many many examples from all walks of life where the wearing of a helmet could have provided protection, but only cycling seems to be targeted as being an everyday activity where wearing a helmet is essential. The picture I posted above is an example of this, had I been wearing a helmet it is possible that I would not have cut my head when I smacked it on a cupboard, but even though I have managed to smack my head on cupboards far far more often than I have managed to when I have been riding my bike, to suggest that wearing a helmet when I am in my kitchen would be treated as ludicrous even though the evidence suggests that it is a far more dangerous environment for me than the roads, why is there this disparity? What makes cycling so dangerous?

doog

Personal experience for me @doog and I believe for others here too. I've been called every kind of stupid for not wearing a helmet, I've had people shout out of cars at me because I wasn't wearing a helmet, I've even been threatened with physical violence for not wearing one. My ride buddy wears a helmet, he believes they should be compulsary, although it's not something we discuss we find plenty of other things to talk about. I ride with him around 4 or 5 times a week although through the summer he does a weekly ride with a group of his friends. He has asked me on a number of occasions to come along and the ride organiser has also asked him to tell me that I would be more than welcome to join them, but I am reluctant because whilst I would very much like to go on the rides with them I know what the reaction will be if I turned up sans helmet. Shame really.

Threatened with physical violence for not wearing a lid !! ....:sad: . You know, its when I read posts like this that I think us cyclists should all stick together, helmets or not...Im out of here (before the lock)

Another forum I visit deals with the helmet issue by confining all debate to a single giant thread (which can be addictive). Actually several giant threads over the years. Not saying that's the way to go here – after all, it's already got its own board – but it's interesting how different forums deal with it.

View attachment 88255
Helmet threads: making the Crusades look like polite squabbles

There is a useful question about ventilation

It is customary to remove headgear in a Church, in fact some would suggest tht wearing headgear indoors is impolite

May I suggest that if more than 50% of the scalp is exposed through the ventilation ducts then wearing it indoors is acceptable, but if less than 50% is exposed then it is bad manners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom