Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dktd

I bought a bike from Chris (don't know his username on this), and rode back from Deptford to Bayswater, where I'm stationed, taking delightful wrongturns the whole way through. Gee, isn't London Bridge etc. fun?! It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be, it was okay, even if there were a few teething problems (down to me more than the great bike Chris sold me). First ride was about 19.47 km (according to Endomondo) or 12 miles, ish, in about an hour and 20. Not bad for getting lost, dealing with London traffic, etc, etc. All I'll say, is god bless Google Maps (I stopped to use it, didn't use it while cycling. Did see one birk on a Boris bike texting and cycling down a main road).

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Nice to see everyones progress. Ended up doing a bit more than I meant to today checking out a different route. Thought there might have been another little road to cut across but ended up approaching a busy dual carriageway (A9) and had to return the same way. Was just shy of 30 miles and it took me nearly two and a half hours. Could have done with something to eat around the two hour mark as I started to struggle a wee bit. Will be better prepared next time.

Here's the route.

http://app.strava.com/rides/21021564

trampyjoe

Nice to see everyones progress. Ended up doing a bit more than I meant to today checking out a different route. Thought there might have been another little road to cut across but ended up approaching a busy dual carriageway (A9) and had to return the same way. Was just shy of 30 miles and it took me nearly two and a half hours. Could have done with something to eat around the two hour mark as I started to struggle a wee bit. Will be better prepared next time.

Here's the route.

http://app.strava.com/rides/21021564
Good going (gave you some Kudos on strava). With regards to eating I always take some snacks with me just in case I do get hungry. Most of the time I don't get hungry as I eat the snacks anyways!

new-fish

The first ride on my Allez was from the bike shop to my parents house, just over 2 miles. It killed me. I definitely thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Over time, doing 6-9 mile rides and increasing, I found that practice definitely makes perfect, and with the increase in mileage and fitness comes an increase in enjoyment. Over the following 12 months 3 stone plus fell off the frame. A stone of that has gone back on, new job etc cramped the chances to get back, so am starting again now, but still smiling. That child like joy of hurtling down a hill after climbing it, priceless :biggrin:

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I bought some chocolatey cereal bars to take with me on my rides. They are only 77 calories so don't negate the fat burning too much. I doubt they get that much sugar into my blood stream but I think the effect is more psychosomatic more than anything. I feel I can go that little bit further! I take a full 550ml water bottle with me and have to ration it otherwise I drink it too fast. Thinking about getting a second one soon as my distances keep increasing.

The first ride on my Allez was from the bike shop to my parents house, just over 2 miles. It killed me. I definitely thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Over time, doing 6-9 mile rides and increasing, I found that practice definitely makes perfect, and with the increase in mileage and fitness comes an increase in enjoyment. Over the following 12 months 3 stone plus fell off the frame. A stone of that has gone back on, new job etc cramped the chances to get back, so am starting again now, but still smiling. That child like joy of hurtling down a hill after climbing it, priceless :biggrin:

Haha, I know that feeling! :biggrin: I was doing that a fair bit earlier, getting to the top of a hill and changing up and hurtling down it. Well I did that on the lesser hills...the steeper ones I already hit 35+ mph on without pedalling at all which is a bit scary for a beginner just wearing lycra and a flimsy helmet! :eek:

flatflr

Guru
taking delightful wrongturns the whole way through.

Around my way I find that's part of the fun, checking out the lanes one would never go down when walking or running, even if they are dead ends, not sure if it helps with the fitness but nice to find nice quite spots

KateK

I started off ten months ago and I was doing about 8 miles, which took me about an hour and completely knackered me. The only reason it was 8 miles was because I had to get home, lying down on the verge just looks silly. After three months I was doing 12-18 miles at about 12 miles an hour. now I am doing 30-40 miles at about 16.5-17. I know lots of people improve faster than me, but I'd spent the best part of 7 years in hospital so.. well, I think I do OK. If you ever feel you are not then try mentioning you've just cycled 20 miles to a non cyclist..their reaction is so encouraging.

Bill93

Just under a month i have been cycling for now, i started first doing 9 miles and felt like i was going to die when i got off the bike. Yesterday i managed my first 20 miler and could have gone a little more but decided against it.

Quick question if anyone can help, i didn't take water on the 20 miler but a gatorade instead to see if it helps but how do you keep drinks like that cool? I wouldnt mind the water being a bit warm but any drink with flavour in it is horrible warm so how do you keep them cool?

Good going (gave you some Kudos on strava). With regards to eating I always take some snacks with me just in case I do get hungry. Most of the time I don't get hungry as I eat the snacks anyways!
+1

Some of you guys completing shorter rides are exactly where i was in May 2010 when i returned to cycling
after a 20 year break.
I started 2 miles, then 3, 7, 10 and every ride would see me limping for an hour or two through sore legs!

Now i regularly bash off a 30 miler at 15 to 17mph average speed during the evening after spending the day on my
feet at work ... and after the ride the only bits that ache will be the soles of my feet.
(Only because i'm STILL using toe-clips instead of cleat pedals/shoes).

The main advice i'd give is to make sure the bike is adjusted correctly, as some aches and pains can be down to
incorrect seat/handlebar height rather than being "unfit".

defy-one

4 months ago i decided get fit,lose 2 stone in weight and start taking care of ME!
That first ride is very vivid. I did what was to become my 3.2 mile loop around my village. My fitness loop when time or weather curbs my longer rides.
I got off the bike that first time with legs of jelly, and wheezing , clamouring for a ventolin inhaler(asthma)
Now i have 2 road bikes (defy 1 and triban 3) i do 15-20 mile fitness rides with the defy and a 35-40 mile round trip commute into central london 2-3 times a week!
I have lost 1.25 stone in weight, got back into 34" waist jeans. Need the Ventolin inhaler much less frequently.

My wife thinks i have gone cycle mad (she thinks 18-20 miles into work is crazy)
My brother reckons i'm going through a mid life crisis
My mates can't beleive how i have turned from a BMW crazed owner into a bike fan!
Inlaws think i look 10 years younger
My dad tells everyone about c2w like he is the cycling minister
ME ? ........ I just smile and ride ;-)

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i used to struggle riding 1.5 miles to work and back a year ago due to a small incline!kept at it riding the flatter courses around bristol (the cycle track is lovely) and then decided i would challenge myself to a sponsered bike ride!

yesterday i weighed myself, i am now 2 stone lighter and had just completed a 40 mile round trip commute with 2800 ft of climbing and average speed over 16 MPH. my normal 5 mile each way commute has 380 of climbing each way too so i have learnt to love the hills!!! the wife thinks im absolutely nuts though

http://share.abvio.com/b555/e7ad/a8c6/c918/Cyclemeter-Cycle-20120905-1733.kml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom