Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I wish the both of you the very best, and hope you have an enjoyable day.
Thank you very much :smile:
It was a brilliant day. I got to the finish in 5:07 according to my phone app, with a moving time of 4:23:36
I stopped and waited at the feed stop for over 20 minutes for hubby. Then waited a few times on the second half of the ride for hubby to catch up before deciding to push on as the stop/start every 5 minutes was really tiring me out.

It was great to see so many riders of different abilities and a vast array of bike types. I saw a lady finish on a very old bike with 6 gears, flat handlebars and a basket on. I had overtaken her at the start. She got a massive cheer when she crossed the line. Spoke to a lad who was inspired by the Tour and by the Olympics so he bought a 2nd hand MTB and entered for the ride. His Mum was meeting him at points along the route with fresh water, fruit and chocolate so that he didn't have to stop at shops. He didn't realise until he got there that there was a food point. By then, his Mum was all organised.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
34.97 miles done today thats 12 more than my best pb to date well chuffed :biggrin: (and chaffed:cry:lol) got a burnt face for my troubles and i cant believe how strong the wind is out there today didnt seem to matter which way i went it was battering me.

Next stop is the 40 mile barrier :bicycle:loving this cycling business :addict:

Jiminblack

Regular
Ignore the segment on that one. I stopped for a chat about the route before the end of segment! True.....honest! However, looking at it I would have only gained another 3 places:blush:

Well done.

Crosstrailer

Went out on our local 16 mile circuit today, determined to get 4 Strava trophies on the 4 main segments. Got 2 PB trophies on hill climb (Cat 4) within the first 3 miles and improved dramatically on the leaderboards (couldn't have got any worse LOL), we then had a very short stop at lights and took the opportunity to have a chat for a few seconds only before getting stuck into the long flat section leading into the 3 mile main segment (despite being a 16 mile circuit it only currrently has 4 segments within it).

Got to the start of the segment, gave it the full beans in top gear (bear in mind I am an noob on a hybrid/mountain bike, not Brad Wiggins), brother who got delayed in traffic at the start catches me, gets towed for a while then pulls out and forges ahead after about 2 miles (he is much fitter than me) I continue to push on despite feeling sick and having screaming quads, finish the segment and know I have taken literally minutes off my PB. Feel elated.

Get off the segment, slow the pace check the iphone and............

I had forgotten to restart Strava after the hillclimb.

Cue much hilarity from my brother and me wanting to launch my iphone across the Essex fens !!!!!. And to top it off the Strava site seems to have died !!!!!

trampyjoe

Went out on our local 16 mile circuit today, determined to get 4 Strava trophies on the 4 main segments. Got 2 PB trophies on hill climb (Cat 4) within the first 3 miles and improved dramatically on the leaderboards (couldn't have got any worse LOL), we then had a very short stop at lights and took the opportunity to have a chat for a few seconds only before getting stuck into the long flat section leading into the 3 mile main segment (despite being a 16 mile circuit it only currrently has 4 segments within it).

Got to the start of the segment, gave it the full beans in top gear (bear in mind I am an noob on a hybrid/mountain bike, not Brad Wiggins), brother who got delayed in traffic at the start catches me, gets towed for a while then pulls out and forges ahead after about 2 miles (he is much fitter than me) I continue to push on despite feeling sick and having screaming quads, finish the segment and know I have taken literally minutes off my PB. Feel elated.

Cue much hilarity from my brother and me wanting to launch my iphone across the Essex fens !!!!!. And to top it off the Strava site seems to have died !!!!!
There's a lesson there somewhere :dry:

^_^ , reminds me of Friday, was it Friday or another time the app hadn't started properly.

Longshot

I started out about 6 months ago and have managed a ride most weeks (occasionally twice or more) save for a 7 week stint where I got laid off with a foot injury.

My first ride was 11 miles and I averaged just over 10 mph.
I'm now up to an average of 14-15mph.
I did the L2B Moonriders overnight in July - 66 miles at over 10mph average (which included the walks up that mountain in Coulsdon and Ditchling Beacon).
It's getting easier each time I go out but I need to do some serious work on uphill technique and strength!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom