Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

started off a few weeks ago doing 4.3 miles a day on a reasonably flat route at 25.5 stone. Now i'm doing 6 or 7 miles with some decent climbs when I can get out at 24.5 stone.

I want to get out more, but the weather is ruining it for me at the minute, then when I can actually go out, something seems to come up which stops me in my tracks. I had plans to go out all afternoon on saturday and sunday, but Halfords messed up and didn't service / fix my bike in time so t screwed everything up. I wasn't happy at all.

Managed to squeeze in a 6.6 mile ride on sunday night, could have easily done another 2 circuits on this route but it went dark.

started off a few weeks ago doing 4.3 miles a day on a reasonably flat route at 25.5 stone. Now i'm doing 6 or 7 miles with some decent climbs when I can get out at 24.5 stone.

I want to get out more, but the weather is ruining it for me at the minute, then when I can actually go out, something seems to come up which stops me in my tracks. I had plans to go out all afternoon on saturday and sunday, but Halfords messed up and didn't service / fix my bike in time so t screwed everything up. I wasn't happy at all.

Managed to squeeze in a 6.6 mile ride on sunday night, could have easily done another 2 circuits on this route but it went dark.
Thats a really great start, shame about the wkend. Keep it up.

Spasspecker

I have been riding to work for the last few months. I'm 38 and had not been on a bike since my very early 20's, it's only a 6 mile round trip but I obviously didn't realise quiet how unfit I was as the first few weeks were a killer. I could quiet easily have given up as I was shattered by the time I got to work and even more so when I got home! I did manage to keep it up however and I have started to really enjoy cycling again. Now as well as the commute I also go out 3 evenings a week and do a 6-8 mile ride. I am planning to go out this weekend and do my first ride over 10 miles, wish me luck!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

What's up with the weather?

Not got lights?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Nice going Peter with a good average, soon be looking at your first 100 ?

Yeah, I will take it easy this weekend then up the mileage again after that. 16.5mph average is only because it was a flatter route compared to my usual hilly routes.

Couple of month i will takle a 100 miler i think

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nice progress, I still remember 10 years ago struggling the first time on my 14.5 mile commute in 1hour 20 mins. Now I am dissapointed if I don't do it in less than 52 mins.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Yeah, im wondering when it will start to plato

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
For me anything 16mph plus is my lower benchmark, then it is a case of increasing the distance but keeping the speed up.

Yeah, i think now Ive put the distance in my legs I will start differnent sessions like sprints, high cadence and low cadence and all that jazz. A turbos on the wish list.

jamin100

Guru
hmmm, i must be doing something wrong..
I started last november and since april have been riding 2-3 times a week to work & back.

My commute is 10 miles each way and last november it took me around 55 minutes each way. Im getting to work now in around 38 minutes and back in around 44 minutes.

I started off at 220lbs and am now hovering around the 200lbs mark which i Cant seem to get under. Im trying to up my cycling now to at least 3 if not 4 days a week.

I only go out on my bike when im going to work as i have family commitments that prevent me from going out at weekends but hopefully the 60-80 miles a week will make a bit more of a difference.

Having just checked emdomondo, since January ive just tipped over 1000 miles on the bike

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I only go out on my bike when im going to work as i have family commitments that prevent me from going out at weekends but hopefully the 60-80 miles a week will make a bit more of a difference.

To get around this I will go out at 6AM on a Sunday and then be home by 9 - 10 in time for any commitment that they have planned for me

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
To get around this I will go out at 6AM on a Sunday and then be home by 9 - 10 in time for any commitment that they have planned for me

the wife refuses to let me get up that early as i wake her up (small bedroom and i have my side of the bed against the wall so need to climb over her to get up!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom