Show us your Raleigh?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My utility-hack Routier :smile:

12x8_img_5712a-jpg.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
BTW I’ve never had a Raleigh :cry:How weird is that.

giphy.gif

Good morning.

Is this eligible? :laugh::laugh:

IMG_1848.JPG

The frame was a semi impulse purchase and it has been built up as something that is pleasant to ride while I work out exactly what I want to do with it. Which is why the gear cables need trimming.

I don't see the point in making a full 6 speed 1970s Campag equipped replica as that was state of the art back then and making a sensible 105 STI equipped bike begs the question of what's the point just get a 725 frame from SPA?.

In the meantime despite being heavy 10.1kg, it is a great ride. It has Halfords cheap but very puncture resistant tyres that come in at 470g each so there is an easy saving to be had there. I have just received some Planet X Mile Muncher tyres with tan sidewalls which is more in keeping with steel frames.

It surprised me how many complete strangers say Nice bike, the picture doesn't do the paint job full justice as it is very shiny.

Annoyingly the seat post needs to go down a fraction but can't because of the aero shaping and I did buy an FSA Gossamer Pro chainset in black and it just looks wrong.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Good morning,

I understand that you had one of the 525 celebration editions, I looked at them but never had so many beers that I ordered one, having had so many beers and the frame delivered I had to decide what to do with it.:laugh:

A couple of weeks after I received the frame a new complete bike was being offered at a big discount, £1,250 and I would probably have bought that if I knew it were coming.

Having ridden a CF frame and forks with Ultegra Di2 for a few years I have become a convert and was tempted by SRAM wireless except that is seems to be disc brake only. This would have been a nice clean install.

Ultegra with rim brakes and the external battery (bm-dn100) is also an option, but for me it would be a very considered purchase. The wheels will take an 11speed cassette, but I expect that for the front mech to work properly I would need the Ultegra chainset as older ones would have the wrong spacing between the chain rings. The issue with the Ultegra chainset is mostly visual, it would look wrong.

Mechanical STI seems wrong to me, although I may end up there, as it is neither state of the art or retro, so it is quite likely that it will stay as it currently is, a reminder of both the good and bad of the past.

.... and no I don't want to buy a new 105 11 speed groupset,:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: did you sell it all?

Bye

Ian

Gunk

Guru
I did have one the original 125 year anniversary models, it was a very nice package with the Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed groupset, although the paint quality and finishing on the frame was a bit disappointing, the only reason I sold it was that the 51 cms frame was a bit too small for me.

2E9406A7-A7A7-4289-A719-A3B305AF30CF.jpeg

I did sell the 105 groupset in bits and pieces, although it wasn’t a particularly good business decision, but made enough for a couple of beers, you live and learn!

Last edited:

plantfit

Guru
I'm surprised one of these hasn't been posted yet or are they all in the skip? anyway here's my contribution of a Nottingham made "bike", I know they were made in Nottingham because I must have welded hundreds if not thousands of the back ends during my time in the factory
DSCF2015.jpg
DSCF2016.jpg

Yes the Raleigh rotavator, er, I mean Raleigh Activator 2

Chris S

Legendary Member
Somebody has converted this Raleigh shopper into a chopper!

ral.jpg

Top Bottom