Show us your Raleigh?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
gotta ask - where did you get it for £2 or thereabouts?

It came from a certain internet site..... The vendor didn't appear to be a cyclist and they were just having a garage clear out and wanted rid of it. I suspect it could have ended up down the tip if it didn't sell. They also had a number of household items, all cheap to go.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's really confirmation of what I was thinking @raleighnut, as my later Raleighs from the 80's and 90's don't have visible badge rivets. Looks like it could make a nice little bike and it was, literally, the price of a pint in 'spoons.
Yep, regarding the crank I swapped my 'City' 3 speed to a cotterless crank by reusing the Raleigh threaded cups with new 'Weldtite' caged bearings and matched a square taper from the collection of good ones I had in the shed, the 'offset' for the crank is a bit of a lottery though I got pretty close but had to reverse the sprocket on the SA hub to get the chainline good (dished sprocket)

I also had the rims swapped from 26 x 1 3/8 chromed to 700c aluminium which meant changing the brake calipers from those bent bits of steel to some nice aluminium Weinmann ones.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yep, regarding the crank I swapped my 'City' 3 speed to a cotterless crank by reusing the Raleigh threaded cups with new 'Weldtite' caged bearings and matched a square taper from the collection of good ones I had in the shed, the 'offset' for the crank is a bit of a lottery though I got pretty close but had to reverse the sprocket on the SA hub to get the chainline good (dished sprocket)

I also had the rims swapped from 26 x 1 3/8 chromed to 700c aluminium which meant changing the brake calipers from those bent bits of steel to some nice aluminium Weinmann ones.

View attachment 591983

View attachment 591984
That is a thing of beauty!

@FrankCrank how did you deal with the Raleigh BB issue? Is that a standard cotterless square taper axle housed in the original cup & cones? Was the axle width compatible enough for it to go straight on, or did it require metalworking?
I wouldn't be averse to doing something similar. After all R20's aren't rare bikes, so modifying one to make it more practical is no great crime. I can weld and bash metal, and I can always cannibalise scrappers for donor parts. Possibly a project is coming on...
Here's a link to my R20 project over on AZ
https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/franks-raleigh-twenty-build.128/
As you say, they aren't rare bikes, so no need to fret about keeping them all original. I think the reason so many survive is because they were really quite unsafe to ride in original spec, just dumped and forgotten in the garage, the steel wheels and crude brakes being the main culprit. The wheel/brake issue is easy enough to remedy, and the link shows how I did the BB upgrade, which again is none too difficult if you're happy with an angle grinder, and a weld box to make some taps. Anyways - good luck with it, and keep us posted.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

My Raleigh Merlin shopper/ station bike. I found the frame With some parts still attached on a fly tip over 20 years ago. I think it’s around 1980 as it still had a Shimano positron rear mech when I found it .
I originally built it as a fixed wheel commuter , it now has beefier wheels and marathon + tyres, and I have flipped the rear wheel and running it freewheel. The reflective tape is courtesy of Mrs JK , she decided I needed to be more visible on my night time commute .
🤔 I may change my forum name to flytip diver Juan .:laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I found the frame With some parts still attached on a fly tip over 20 years ago. I think it’s around 1980 as it still had a Shimano positron rear mech when I found it .
I originally built it as a fixed wheel commuter , it now has beefier wheels and marathon + tyres, and I have flipped the rear wheel and running it freewheel. The reflective tape is courtesy of Mrs JK , she decided I needed to be more visible on my night time commute .
🤔 I may change my forum name to flytip diver Juan .:laugh:

Christ almighty! That reflective tape is err, rather distinctive... I can't see it being a prime target for bike thieves let's put it that way.
I also dive flytips not just skips. i've had 2 x Dunlop BSO MTB's for parts, a Ridgeback ali hybrid for parts, an Apollo CX10 hybrid for parts, and a 25" Raleigh 18-23 road frame with a few bits attached but no wheels. I kept the crankset, BB, headset, forks, and handlebars on the Raleigh. The main frame was properly battered so it got scrapped.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's been a while since I last posted a pic of my Pioneer Jaguar in this thread. Since my last update it's gone to 27 speed and I converted to drop bars last summer. After racking up a few miles I realised I really needed a short 60mm stem which does make the steering feel very direct but doesn't take long to get used to and the reach is more comfortable with it. Current saddle is a Brooks B17N

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's been a while since I last posted a pic of my Pioneer Jaguar in this thread. Since my last update it's gone to 27 speed and I converted to drop bars last summer. After racking up a few miles I realised I really needed a short 60mm stem which does make the steering feel very direct but doesn't take long to get used to and the reach is more comfortable with it. Current saddle is a Brooks B17N

View attachment 593354
My B17n is my favourite Brooks saddle, although my old B5n runs it a close second.

Peugeotrider

Picked up this aerolite a few weeks back for a ton.
Bar the tyres which are crap,hate the colour and the width...a bike in very good shape.
Actually saw one same kitted out with the 1980 team ti decals that looked 👍 and thinking of the same for this one for that retro vibe.
I also have a 86 Peugeot tourmalet that I've owned 32 years and got a full ground up resto last year

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_083419487_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210531_083419487_HDR.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom