Show us your Raleigh?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
They are so hard to resist

If, like me, you grew up riding them, you get an appreciation for what well made and dependable machines they were - even the more low-end, budget-oriented models. I have one for every day of the week, but not a Raleigh 3-speed though, so if the right one turns up at the right price in the right location, I won't be resisting.
Might get rid of one to make room, but it won't be a Raleigh, probably the Apollo.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If, like me, you grew up riding them, you get an appreciation for what well made and dependable machines they were - even the more low-end, budget-oriented models. I have one for every day of the week, but not a Raleigh 3-speed though, so if the right one turns up at the right price in the right location, I won't be resisting.
Might get rid of one to make room, but it won't be a Raleigh, probably the Apollo.
Yep took me years to get round to fixing up my 3 speed but breaking my leg whilst the bike was in bits didn't help. I might have posted it in here before but here is mine.

It had sat outside for many years before I acquired it so the original Steel 26" rims were fubared so I had the rear hub laced to an Aluminium 700c rim with a matching one built onto a Shimano 'dynohub' I had in the shed, this meant I could get rid of the horrible bent Steel brake calipers and replace them with some Ally Wiennman ones I had. Flatter Aluminium Ergotec 'Toulouse' handlebars were fitted along with a Stronglight crankset with caged bearing BB instead of the cottered Steel original and a B67s finished it off nicely.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Another one of Nottingham's finest joins the vintage steel fleet at Skipdiver Towers, after some more financial extravagance on my part.... I believe it to be a Dawn Tourist (unless any Raleigh expert knows otherwise), due to the combination of 26" wheels, rod brakes, dynohub and DBU (now removed). It has a late '73 dated SA 3-speed hub but a NA4xxxxxx frame number, indicating it was made early in 1974, despite looking more like something from 1954!.

Need to sort out a pump & saddlebag for it now, as it looks naked without.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I suspect that one is rather more modern than it's appearance would suggest. Could it be a Netherlands market machine? I'm not convinced it came out of Nottingham.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It’s about 10 years old.

Definitely not assembled at Nottingham then, because frame fabrication ceased at the end of 1999 and final assembly in 2002. Style very reminiscent of Raleighs built for Dutch market, minus the hub gears. Can't go wrong for thirty Queens no matter what!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All good then. Probably won't even need much doing to it then if it's only 10 years old or so. My 1985 Royal Tourer is almost certainly still on it's original cables & Michelin tyres! I've only changed one inner tube and nothing else.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve already bought some correct tan wall Raleigh tyres £15 👍 brakes need some work as all old V brakes do, A good clean, degrease and service, that’s about it.

I’ve got a few minor jobs left on my Brompton project and then I’ll move on to the Raleigh

Top Bottom