Show us your small-wheelers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There were a few Kingpins and other small wheelers out and about in that London yesterday.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Bought this today, thanks to @FrankCrank its a ‘78 Twenty Alpha.

Not bad for a tenner.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
.....what, no side stand - you've been done. Tell you what, I'll give you a fiver for it.....
Apparently the Raleigh Twenty Alpha was the low entry budget model, no Dynohub, stand, rack. The rack on this bike is a Pletscher which I think were not supplied on Twenties.

Apparently the Raleigh Twenty Alpha was the low entry budget model, no Dynohub, stand, rack. The rack on this bike is a Pletscher which I think were not supplied on Twenties.
.....OK, you live and learn - just thought they all had the sidestand, it's a feature I really like as well. Have seen so many pics of them with that rack that I assumed some came with it as standard. The one I have back in UK has the chrome steel type of rack, with a plastic tray thing on top - looks awful. Any plans as to what you'll do with yours?

I'll show you a couple.

Attachments

• cornish trim.JPG
    cornish trim.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 19
  • bycanal.JPG
    bycanal.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 18

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
.....OK, you live and learn - just thought they all had the sidestand, it's a feature I really like as well. Have seen so many pics of them with that rack that I assumed some came with it as standard. The one I have back in UK has the chrome steel type of rack, with a plastic tray thing on top - looks awful. Any plans as to what you'll do with yours?
The chrome /plastic rack is a feature of the Raleigh Twenty, Dawes used the Pletscher rack on the Kingpin.
I’m not sure what to do with mine yet, you may recall I only bought it to get the oil plug from the rear hub to put on my KP. But I might not do that now, so possibly an oily rag resto and service, or may be bling it up, or convert it to a single speed off roader just for the craic, there many possibilities.

The chrome /plastic rack is a feature of the Raleigh Twenty, Dawes used the Pletscher rack on the Kingpin.
I’m not sure what to do with mine yet, you may recall I only bought it to get the oil plug from the rear hub to put on my KP. But I might not do that now, so possibly an oily rag resto and service, or may be bling it up, or convert it to a single speed off roader just for the craic, there many possibilities.
I know what you mean - I think they're like the old Minis, pretty much anything you do to them is an improvement!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The first one looks interesting, particularly the frame design. What is it exactly?
Royal Enfield Revelation. Rarer than Trump’s honesty. It’s a lovely looking machine. That ones been customised with non standard chain set and gears. Originally a 3 speed.

Thanks Carl. Reason for my query is I may take a fancy to build a small wheeled bike some day, the frame in stainless, and that looks a potential candidate to copy. A single large main tube as in the R20 would be quite hard to do for me, but twin smaller tubes could be possible.....:okay:

Carl is pretty much on the money. A bit more detail:

Two 3/32 sprockets and a spacer off a MTB cassette were shoehorned on the the 3 speed AW hub, a rear mech was added and a 3/32 crank on a sealed bottom bracket. The result is a 10% grade is doable on low gear, and 18 mph in the highest.

Stem was changed out for a Nitto to give a bit more height and reach. Flat bars I had kicking around and ergo bar ends.

The original seat-post was 22mm diameter and a couple of pressed shims lived between the post and the frame. I removed the shims and fitted, as I recall, a 25mm seat-post I had lying around. The inside of the frame could probably do with a tickle from a reamer.

Modern dual pivot calipers, Tektro 559's.

The Rev rides beautifully. The frame is longer than most shoppers so it has more stability. For example, I feel comfortable taking one hand off the bars to signal at a much higher speed than on a KP, for example.

There was a French copy that used 406 rims as I recall. The Rev is on 451's.

Enjoy what Tony Hadland has to say. The French copy is referenced.

Top Bottom