Show us your small-wheelers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Graham. Had just spotted the French version, and have it booked marked now - all grist to the mill. The extra wheelbase must give a pretty smooth ride, the R20 that I ride over here has fat tyres so that helps a lot. The wheels are converted to 406's, and with the fat tyres give almost the same overall diameter as the original 451's, so the in built kick stand works just fine. Does it have proprietary BB threads as per Raleigh, or did they bow to the standards?

Nibor

Bewildered
Is there room in the market for a modern 20" non folding shopper? It could be really lightweight, clean running bike with flatpack bars, ideal for students or storage in a hallway. There are plenty of folder options that add weight and reduce strength.
I have on an orbea Katu 20

Nibor

Bewildered
Rides really well hydraulic brakes, 8 speed hub gear and Dynamo lights it sis the real package not tried it with serious weight but if it is anything like the brompton it will be great. Rock steady at the 27mph top speed too.

Thanks Graham. Had just spotted the French version, and have it booked marked now - all grist to the mill. The extra wheelbase must give a pretty smooth ride, the R20 that I ride over here has fat tyres so that helps a lot. The wheels are converted to 406's, and with the fat tyres give almost the same overall diameter as the original 451's, so the in built kick stand works just fine. Does it have proprietary BB threads as per Raleigh, or did they bow to the standards?
Neither. The frame has no threads, however it has a Baylis Wiley BB that incorporates a sleeve that is threaded 24 tpi. I suppose it's a sort of early threadless BB. The sleeve is theoretically removable however seems to stick in, which is no problem when using a cartridge.
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/bottom-brackets.html

Here is the Tony Hadland link I omitted earlier
https://hadland.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/royal-enfield-revelation/

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm arriving late to this thread. Here's a shot of my Kingpin, acquired earlier this year:

I've got a soft spot for small wheel bikes due to having a junior Kingpin as a youngster. This shopper version was advertised in the local paper. I didn't plan on getting another bike at first but when the advert just kept on reappearing I couldn't resist any more and went over the Cheshire border to have a look.

So far I've done minimal work: cleaned and lubed, replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17 I had spare, fitted a new chain, a pump and made a mudflap. At the moment the plan is just to use it as is, but I've got some ideas for the future.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm arriving late to this thread. Here's a shot of my Kingpin, acquired earlier this year:
View attachment 494897

I've got a soft spot for small wheel bikes due to having a junior Kingpin as a youngster. This shopper version was advertised in the local paper. I didn't plan on getting another bike at first but when the advert just kept on reappearing I couldn't resist any more and went over the Cheshire border to have a look.

So far I've done minimal work: cleaned and lubed, replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17 I had spare, fitted a new chain, a pump and made a mudflap. At the moment the plan is just to use it as is, but I've got some ideas for the future.
Looks great.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Here's an updated pic of mine, with mudguards added:
View attachment 494932
They are a snug fit with the fat tyres, but seemed a shame not to use them. Cut a bit off where the original dynamo light/stays were.
I'm trying to track down a non folding Kingpin in the Reading area - intrigued to see how they compare with the R20.
Looks good, is that a new front fork?

Top Bottom