Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
20200319_163110.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
View attachment 509188

View attachment 509187

First time with the new saddle, third time with the new bike. Nice views on my commute home.
That is perfect! Bike, view, everything!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here'a an old steel Basso converted to a single-speed bike. I keep it in the midlands for riding around the undulating lanes north of Coventry on my frequent trips back there. I scrounged the frame. forks and wheels off a mate who has emigrated (on condition that he can have them back if he ever comes home). Most of the other bits came from my junk box. It only cost me £25 for cables, bar tape and tubes :tongue:!

View attachment 163443
I was reminded of this post just now when @avecReynolds531 'Liked' it.

I kept on going to Coventry to visit my elderly mum until she died in 2010. The bike served me well on those frequent visits.

The friend who lent me the bulk of the parts for the bike DID eventually return to the UK so, as promised, I returned the bike to him. He kept it with the one small chainring, but put a rear derailleur back on and made it a 1x9 (or 1x8?).

He was kind enough to donate another frame/fork to me so I made myself another singlespeed bike, which I have ridden thousands of kms on. That includes lots of metric centuries, imperial centuries and even a few double metric centuries. The replacement singlespeed bike has an aluminium frame though.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
...if it had to be only one bike - a 531in the country sun...

vickster

Legendary Member
New to me steelie

Going to change to SRAM brifters and rear mech, add crosslevers, flat pedals and .... orange bartape ^_^

I’m as yet undecided on rack (I’ve only got a silver one) and mudguards

Attachments

• 09F018D1-A309-4C39-9519-EC030C54FF90.jpeg
    09F018D1-A309-4C39-9519-EC030C54FF90.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 4D56F882-E51F-4759-B931-C65975FF034C.jpeg
    4D56F882-E51F-4759-B931-C65975FF034C.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2FB0A76A-6AFC-4BCA-897F-0DDF77C66D08.jpeg
    2FB0A76A-6AFC-4BCA-897F-0DDF77C66D08.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 17

a.twiddler

Veteran
Bit of a cheat.....already appeared on Bike on a Bridge...but it's definitely steel!

Bike is a 2011ish Revolution Country Explorer bought 2016.
Added Nitto Randonneur bars 42cm. Has a generic Viking plastic saddle which is strangely comfortable. Blackburn front rack, bit of a monstrosity but hard to find a high front rack for a disc fork. This will take high or low panniers. Shimano specific Mirrycle, transferred from last bike. Cheap plastic accessory bracket from Amazon. Original ancient pinger bell transferred via various previous bikes. Also have on trial a traditional bell pinched from Mrs Twiddler's bike which I have been trialling back to back with that following posts on Bells thread. The pinger wins! So the other bell is going back on her bike before she notices it's missing.
Wheel spindle mounted side stand. And finally, a 1980ish Carradice Nelson Longflap Saddle bag on a Karrimor quick release frame. It's still an eminently practical thing even if empty it weighs as much as some riders' underseat toolbag fully loaded.
The tyres are Panaracer Pasela 700X35c which I have found comfortable and free rolling.
Apart from the above, it's pretty much how it came.
The bike is comfortable and responsive (if a little heavy) and feels stable at speed and on loose surfaces, just nice to ride.
I didn't mean to write a review, but oh well, there you go.

Top Bottom