Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I do love that bike @wafter its gorgeous

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My 20 year old Spesh Rockhopper, making a rare appearance for a bit of XC, due to slightly strong wind conditions for road riding.
Main Tubes Ritchie Ni-Tanium, others Specialized own Chr-Mo tubes.
IMG_20200523_130455.jpg

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Not counting the Mailstar that appears in my avatar, my first steel bike since the 1970s arrived this week:

Medium_Spa Tourer.jpg

Had it out for a quick steady* spin today. Just 20 miles, but it felt so good. Of course a new bike always does - smooth gears, positive braking, purposeful progress.

It was 4 weeks from placing the order to receipt of the bike, but I was in no rush and I guess most good bike shops will be under more pressure than usual at the moment. Although it was a mail order**, Spa rang me to check various measurements so they could confirm I'd ordered the best size for my body dimensions and so they could set it up to my requirements. I have to say the bike does seem to be incredibly well assembled. The wheels - as can be expected from Spa - are strong and true ... as indicated by the brake block clearance on the rims. I don't think I've ever managed to get anywhere near such a close tolerance when replacing pads - there can't have been much more than fag paper between rim and blocks, yet no rubbing at all. Very impressive.
A fair bit of the componentry is medium rather than premium spec (my choice to keep the cost down), but it looks and feels so much better than that.

Weather permitting, I'll push a bit further tomorrow.

*My mistake. I don't do 'quick.'

Willd

Veteran
Well, I'm guessing it's steel, although at 16.9 kg it might be lead. :rolleyes: It does free-wheel well though, which is good, as the highest gear is 3.4:1. Pumped the tyres up well and made it up the only marked 10% incline I could find locally, without too much effort. I'm not sure I fancy going down that hill as the brakes don't inspire much confidence, although it does ride well over shoddy tarmac.

Normally used as a pub-bike or out with the kids. The bent rear hanger on my "road" bike should be fixed soon :smile:

DSC00449.jpg

Top Bottom