Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

Most people who are looking will know that Planet X are moving from Lynskey to Van Nic. to source their Ti frames and as a consequence there have been no Pro Road Ti frames for sale for some time.

I just checked the site and they now have one, medium, for sale at £800. I'd have already bought it if the finances were in place, but theyr're not - so someone else grab a bargain - there won't ever be many Lynskey's around at this price!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXTIPRO/planet-x-ti-pro-road-frame

Garz

Squat Member
Looks like it's gone mate.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, here's my recently-rebuilt Raleigh 401Ti DynaTech.

bikes004.jpg

It's a steel and titanium composite frame - top and down tubes are Ti, seat tube stays and forks are steel. I bought it in '94, and it was the first decent road bike I had. The RHS gear lever boss has damaged threads, but it makes a great SS. This is my main commuting bike.

It's got the original seatpost, a Bell saddle with built-in LED light, 105 chainset with 39T ring (from Jiggerypokery of this parish), Sora brakes with Tektro 'cross levers, Shimano R500 wheels ans a 16T rear sprocket. The paint is original, and more purpley than the photo looks. Very dull light today, on account of the drizzle.

P.H

Über Member
I coveted one of those when they came out, though I was never sure of the reasoning for mixing the materials. As nobody else seems to have done it since I can't be alone in that. I suppose one explanation is it allows you to post the same bike in two Cycle Chat threads :biggrin:

Still looks a great bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I suspect they'd done the tooling for bonded steel frames, then some Ti tubes became available.
At the price point (£450 IIRC) it was this or a Dawes in 501 tubing.
A C+ review at the time summed it up as 'Titanium? For under £500???'

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
gallery_1831_198_20500.jpg

Mmmmm....

To be accessorised further.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Very very nice indeed MacB, how long did the entire project take ?

:biggrin: There were two timescales, the first being the one that Burls worked to and the second being the same with the added MacB procrastination factor. I would say you could reasonably expect a total build time of 3 months, from initial contact to completed frame or bike. I think mine was nearer 18 months but 2-3 months from when I actually signed off on the CAD drawings.

There are further tweaks to come and various parts upgrades as they wear out and funds become available. I focused what I had on frame, forks, headset and wheelset, they are what I wanted, as are bars and saddle. The rest are use what I had or secondhand, I want fancier cranks, STI's and a Thomson Elite seatpost. I may also change the stem but not until I've fully broken in the ride position.

MrRidley

:biggrin: There were two timescales, the first being the one that Burls worked to and the second being the same with the added MacB procrastination factor. I would say you could reasonably expect a total build time of 3 months, from initial contact to completed frame or bike. I think mine was nearer 18 months but 2-3 months from when I actually signed off on the CAD drawings.

There are further tweaks to come and various parts upgrades as they wear out and funds become available. I focused what I had on frame, forks, headset and wheelset, they are what I wanted, as are bars and saddle. The rest are use what I had or secondhand, I want fancier cranks, STI's and a Thomson Elite seatpost. I may also change the stem but not until I've fully broken in the ride position.

I've done it to a lesser extent, bought a Van Nic Yukon chose my own groupset, stem, bars already had my own wheels, picked a nice honey coloured Brooks, all in all took about 2 days :biggrin: i'm now just tweaking things to suit with the stem being first to get changed to a shorter one.

Top Bottom