Show us your watch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
9ABF745C-8034-4AAB-9316-27F28714639A.jpeg
7BE2F72E-8C0A-4372-9E96-34F83C327CB0.jpeg

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
A £200 bike will do the same job as a £2000 bike.......
A £20 fishing rod will do the same job as a £4k Pole.......
An £8k Dacia will do the same job as an £80k Range Rover........
A "insert anything cheap here" will do the same job as a "insert anything expensive here".........
Does it really matter?
If I want to spend £4k on a watch..and can afford to....and I enjoy owning it then why not?
I work with a bloke who has 150+ pairs of Adidas trainers...why?Who cares he likes collecting them:okay: He doesn't wear them and they're all in boxes in his spare room:ohmy:
When in Paris for my 50th last year I saw a €38k Breitling...If i had €38k spare I'd buy it tomorrow!

Lets imagine all products are unbranded for just a few minutes. A watches purpose is to tell the time. Its perfectly easy to make a device to accurately do this for a couple of pounds. Cars and bikes need so many or attributes in comparison. They must be safe, comfortable, aerodynamic, go through rigorous testing etc and that sort of research and development costs a lot of money.

The job of a car and a bike is primarily to get the user from point A to point B, though generally you will have a more comfortable journey doing so in more expensive products, not to mention being safer if it all goes wrong. If I were to look at the time on a £10 watch, or £5,000 watch I would not be able to describe any discernible difference between the two results.

If you aspire to spend €38,000 on a watch dont feel obliged to justify it to anybody else. But similary dont try and claim its because it tells the time any better than a digital watch from Argos, because it doesnt. The money is paying branding and supposed image.

BigMeatball

The money is paying branding and supposed image.

Thanks, captain obvious.

About the rest of your post, there are so many things that are missing I don't even want to get into it. Especially now that I'm catching a flight.

Hopefully someone will jump in and explain to you some basic economics concepts of branding and perceived value of products. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until I come back.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Lets imagine all products are unbranded for just a few minutes. A watches purpose is to tell the time. Its perfectly easy to make a device to accurately do this for a couple of pounds. Cars and bikes need so many or attributes in comparison. They must be safe, comfortable, aerodynamic, go through rigorous testing etc and that sort of research and development costs a lot of money.

The job of a car and a bike is primarily to get the user from point A to point B, though generally you will have a more comfortable journey doing so in more expensive products, not to mention being safer if it all goes wrong. If I were to look at the time on a £10 watch, or £5,000 watch I would not be able to describe any discernible difference between the two results.

If you aspire to spend €38,000 on a watch dont feel obliged to justify it to anybody else. But similary dont try and claim its because it tells the time any better than a digital watch from Argos, because it doesnt. The money is paying branding and supposed image.

I thought this thread was just for people to show what watch they wear, not to make judgments on how much people spend on their watches.
Plus, a watch is more than just something to tell the time. Its also an item of jewellery to some. For some they appreciate the materials that a watch is made of and the quality of its manufacturer. Some are interested in the precision engineering of a mechanical watch, or the technology that goes into some watches that do far more things than just tell the time.

Smudge

Veteran
Watches can also be an investment. Certain models of Swiss watches can fetch prices far higher than what they cost originally.
Even at the cheaper end, prices can start rising. My Seiko Monster that i only bought a few years ago, is fetching twice what i paid for it on the used market now.
I also have a rare G Shock that is now fetching 3 times what i paid for it some years ago. And will probably carry on rising.

Gunk

Guru
Watches can also be an investment. Certain models of Swiss watches can fetch prices far higher than what they cost originally.
Even at the cheaper end, prices can start rising. My Seiko Monster that i only bought a few years ago, is fetching twice what i paid for it on the used market now.
I also have a rare G Shock that is now fetching 3 times what i paid for it some years ago. And will probably carry on rising.

Very true, my GMT is now worth four times what I paid for it 20 years ago, I didn’t buy it as investment but it’s been a nice bonus.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I don't and I wouldn't:okay:
As stated it's not just about "telling the time" you might not be able to tell the difference by just looking but I can(as I'm sure most who like a good watch can).Quality stands out.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Thanks, captain obvious.

About the rest of your post, there are so many things that are missing I don't even want to get into it. Especially now that I'm catching a flight.

Hopefully someone will jump in and explain to you some basic economics concepts of branding and perceived value of products. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until I come back.

Are you back yet Yoda? I have my Filofax so I dont miss anything. Im also keen to know what was missing from my own post.
:laugh:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've bought a couple of watches since my last post on here. I've used promo photos below as they are far better than any of my attempts ^_^

Firstly, a TAG Heuer Formula 1 - the Gulf Racing limited edition:

I've always wanted a TAG and I've always liked the Gulf racing colour scheme so it sold itself to me once I'd tried it on.
I quite fancied getting a metal bracelet for it, but apparently they are £300-£400 depending which one you go for, although that does include fitting.
I'd like a TAG Heuer Monaco, but I really can't justify the cost.

And as something a bit more day to day wearable, an Alpina Seastrong Diver Big Date (no, that is really what it's called):

Smudge

Veteran
I've bought a couple of watches since my last post on here. I've used promo photos below as they are far better than any of my attempts ^_^

Firstly, a TAG Heuer Formula 1 - the Gulf Racing limited edition:
View attachment 498609
I've always wanted a TAG and I've always liked the Gulf racing colour scheme so it sold itself to me once I'd tried it on.
I quite fancied getting a metal bracelet for it, but apparently they are £300-£400 depending which one you go for, although that does include fitting.
I'd like a TAG Heuer Monaco, but I really can't justify the cost.

And as something a bit more day to day wearable, an Alpina Seastrong Diver Big Date (no, that is really what it's called):
View attachment 498610

Great design and colours on that Tag.

Top Bottom