Show us your - winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's OK. It's got XT canti's but it's the pad compound that's important - got some Ritchey extreme pads on at the moment. It's got no where near the stopping power of my road bikes though ! PS it looks a bit BSO, but it's an early 90's MTB, so we didn't have this suspension stuff then. It's Tange cro-mo, with a mix of XT and LX components. It's also had some 'adventures' as well. It's also very good if a car hits it - it makes a right mess of a car :evil: :wacko:

Being fully rigid, it stops me descending down mountains too fast for my MTB abilities (which are crap :blink:). It's bloody fast up hill though !

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Just remember, if we get snow, you may find guards a problem. But if you get secu clips, you only need to undo a few bolts.

Good point

As for the BSO looking bike, not having a front fork today was much more of a pleasure, felt so much more connected to the path, it does worry me that its a carbon fork tho !

EDIT: Koolstop pads ?

+1 for pad compound. When I first got the Focus Mares I had it came with Avid Shorty 4's, and I very nearly swopped them within the first week as I was shocked at how bad they seemed, and the the original pads were bobbins, and they mashed in next to no time. Swopped the pads for new ones, (forget the make now, D'oh!), set the brakes up properly with toe in etc, and they were transformed.
Glad I didn't leap into blowing ££££'s on Avid Ultimates or similar :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
+1 for pad compound. When I first got the Focus Mares I had it came with Avid Shorty 4's, and I very nearly swopped them within the first week as I was shocked at how bad they seemed, and the the original pads were bobbins, and they mashed in next to no time. Swopped the pads for new ones, (forget the make now, D'oh!), set the brakes up properly with toe in etc, and they were transformed.
Glad I didn't leap into blowing ££££'s on Avid Ultimates or similar :thumbsup:

Yeah, Im not gonna rush into anything, the bike is amazing but its let down by the brakes, so for now, i'll be happy to try some koolstops or what ever peeps recommend, if worse comes to it, then i'll just get a new hub and disk brake for the rear as I didnt use front braking in the snow anyways

fossyant

Gaz - you'll be using it on the flat, so don't worry about the brakes. They will bed in. Compound is a key.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz - you'll be using it on the flat, so don't worry about the brakes. They will bed in. Compound is a key.

It's not THAT flat, I have 9 locks to drop down, plus in the winter there tends to be MSO MTB'ers (No offence
biggrin.gif
) coming the other way without lights, forced me to HARD Brake a few times last year LOL.......

fossyant

You'll have fun. I like the off-road route I have to work down the TPT.

Even expected the snow ball pounding as I neared home.. they missed... but have fun with them... :tongue:

Top Bottom