Show us your - winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R600

Über Member
1980s Raleigh Record Campag xenon 9 speed Sora compact chainset and bomb proof Mavic touring wheels. a bit heavy but very reliable

DSCF0001.jpg

gds58

Über Member
This is my winter hack. It's an old Aluminium frame that originally ran an 8 speed set up. I stripped everything off it and cut off any unwanted brazings so that I could run it as a single speed fixed. I managed to get good chain tension by slightly filing out the drop-outs and I run a 39 x 15 fixed which is 70.2"

I resprayed it in a satin black and put on some 'FELT' stickers simply because I liked the design of them!! I absolutely love riding it and sometimes take it out in preference to my road bike just to keep my legs spinning and nice and supple.

The 'Crud Racer' mudguards are brilliant and super light so I would recommend these to anybody for all weather riding.

Attachments

• Fixie 20.07.11.jpg
    Fixie 20.07.11.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 199

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I do need to get rid of a bike though (I'm moving to a tiny flat with a little garden and I can't get five bikes into one of those Asguard bike lockers). Those crudracer 'guards look handy, I've got a 2005 Allez that's just begging to be made into a winter bike.

gds58

Über Member
Those crudracer 'guards look handy, I've got a 2005 Allez that's just begging to be made into a winter bike.

They really are very good. Especially if your bike has very close clearances. There are some very clever little soft brush like things that you stick on behind the stays where they join the guard and these rub very lightly on the braking surface of the rim to clear any water and muck off it. You get lots of different end pieces so that you can alter how far down the back wheel it comes as well. All in all very well thought out, oh and by the way you don't need mudguard eyes as they use rubber 'O' ring type bands to hold the little fixing brackets to the forks and stays.

If you look on ebay you can find these for about £23

Here's my newly finished winter bike. 80's Peugeot converted to 10 speed with Campag Veloce gruppo.
img0884c.jpg

potsy

Rambler
How come you went for this instead of a on-one?
I've been watching the C2W thread but have been too busy at work and may have missed the reason.

He probably got the on-one, ran it into the ground and is now on his next winter bike :biggrin:
Keep up Hicky, Gaz goes through bikes at the rate of 1 a month :thumbsup:

Rode my 'winter' bike in today, think I need a new one, it is 'tank' like :ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just use my Basso in winter and make sure to clean it properly when I get in. I'm a fan of the Crud Roadracers too.

Here's a winter picture to prove that I do actually sometimes ride at that time of year ...! (The bike had the Mk 1 Crud Roadracers on in this picture but I have upgraded them to the Mk 2s since then.)

blackstone-edge-reservoir-snow-ice.jpg

The Mk2 Crud Roadracers are shown in the second picture ...

crud-roadracer-mk2-fenders-mudguards-on-bike.jpg

potsy

Rambler
My winter ride-
resized 2.JPG

Been given a few weight saving upgrades the last few weeks, lighter seatpost, front tyre and saddle (on way from Wiggle) now comes in at an impressive 14.2 kg :becool:

Should keep get me fit over the winter :biggrin:

Top Bottom