Show us your - winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Cheaper than cheap
An MTB so it can deal with anything
Respected but not loved or cleaned
Hardly worth stealing,but always locked up
Scratches galore

Is the MTB requirement valid, as I class a couple of my drop bars as winter hacks? :huh:

defy-one

Not really, depends on your definition of winter riding.

For me it is roads with rain, for others it's off road with rain/snow

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
A general commuter hack, currently wintered up with a tractor tyre (Marathon plus) on the back.

S.S FrankenFreak
uploadfromtaptalk1358353279728.jpg

I really appreciate the Marathon Plus, especially as it was a gift but my god am I looking forward to spring!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

I bought this peugot on CC in the classifieds...Ive finally got around to servicing it and generally tarting it up...the bars are abit narrow for me but its fine to go shopping on and around town etc.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Not really, depends on your definition of winter riding.

For me it is roads with rain, for others it's off road with rain/snow
Indeed - in southern England, road cyclists tend to need an all-year-round wet-weather bike more than a winter hack, although adding tougher tyres in winter helps.

Having cycled for many years, I decided long ago that one should have a quality bike dedicated to wet weather riding, and moreover that it should be as 'good' as one's number one mudguardless fine-weather bike if possible (subject to saving the necessaries of course), due to the number of wet days' riding in this country that we have to endure.

Accordingly, I've had several such wet-weather bikes over the years and have just put together the following one, which I suppose qualifies as my winter 'hack' as it mainly has to deal with rain and muddy roads, and I suppose the forthcoming occasional bit of slush, and for the time being it's shod with tough narrowish touring tyres for that extra protection on England's dismally dirty, debris-strewn and badly maintained roads.

tn_IMG_1649_zpsd0e342e9.jpg

tn_IMG_1650_zps313a1f0a.jpg

tn_IMG_1651_zps6b912747.jpg

tn_IMG_1652_zps14d00399.jpg

tn_IMG_1654_zpsd98d12b8.jpg

tn_IMG_1656_zps33b0f63b.jpg

tn_IMG_1658_zpsb43d0df3.jpg

tn_IMG_1659_zpscf7a354a.jpg

tn_IMG_1660_zpsd06d9e0c.jpg

tn_IMG_1661_zps744cafd2.jpg

Foghat

tn_IMG_1663_zps6e337782.jpg

tn_IMG_1665_zpsb91f34c0.jpg

tn_IMG_1666_zpsbb84b82c.jpg

tn_IMG_1667_zpsd9c64e34.jpg

tn_IMG_1670_zps00876185.jpg

tn_IMG_1672_zpsabcf0d0a.jpg

tn_IMG_1673_zps3719cbf6.jpg

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Indeed - in southern England, road cyclists tend to need an all-year-round wet-weather bike more than a winter hack, although adding tougher tyres in winter helps.

Having cycled for many years, I decided long ago that one should have a quality bike dedicated to wet weather riding, and moreover that it should be as 'good' as one's number one mudguardless fine-weather bike if possible (subject to saving the necessaries of course), due to the number of wet days' riding in this country that we have to endure.

Accordingly, I've had several such wet-weather bikes over the years and have just put together the following one, which I suppose qualifies as my winter 'hack' as it mainly has to deal with rain and muddy roads, and I suppose the forthcoming occasional bit of slush, and for the time being it's shod with tough narrowish touring tyres for that extra protection on England's dismally dirty, debris-strewn and badly maintained roads.

tn_IMG_1649_zpsd0e342e9.jpg

tn_IMG_1650_zps313a1f0a.jpg

tn_IMG_1651_zps6b912747.jpg

tn_IMG_1652_zps14d00399.jpg

tn_IMG_1654_zpsd98d12b8.jpg

tn_IMG_1656_zps33b0f63b.jpg

tn_IMG_1658_zpsb43d0df3.jpg

tn_IMG_1659_zpscf7a354a.jpg

tn_IMG_1660_zpsd06d9e0c.jpg

tn_IMG_1661_zps744cafd2.jpg

Really beautiful.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Since I just have the one bike at the moment, at least until I rescue my c1985 Saracen road bike from my Dads next week hopefully I guess this is my Winter bike. Only up to 10 to 15 mile trips on it at the mo but getting fitter(ish) every week. I can carry plenty of sarnies with me though.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 62

Foghat

Only spoiled by that wire running down the front brake cable, you need to go wireless, lovely bike though.

Have tried wireless before, but hated the spurious readings due to interference - speed readings of 800mph would play havoc with average speed figures, so it was back to wired for me. I always found that manufacturers' claims for interference-free computers were incorrect.

The Garmin also gets distance/speed figures wrong, hence the need for a humble wired computer as well.

Top Bottom