Sick of punctures - what sleek tyres can i get

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Hello friends - i am back for some advice.
I have michellin pro 4 tyres fitted in 2019.
Did a fair bit of cycling 2019 and 2020. This year i am facing frequent punctures. I am cycling 200 to 400 km per month. Is it time to get new tyres. I am bit sick of changing tubes every other month. What tyres can i get that are tough but wont slow me down. Training to pedal to paris 2022. So speed is also important. Please help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Schwalbe Durano Plus are pretty tough tyres. Or you could look at Vittoria Zaffiro or Rubino - both decent.

Sharky

Guru
Punctures happen. Just find the cause each time. If an obvious penetration thru the tyre, then time to get new tyres if too frequent.

For something like a multi day trip, would be prudent to replace ahead of the trip, but make sure you do it a few weeks before, just in case there other non penetration causes.

Bon voyage for your Paris trip.

Punctures happen. Just find the cause each time. If an obvious penetration thru the tyre, then time to get new tyres if too frequent.
Yup. If the poster is doing 300km/month, these tyres (being quite soft in the grand scheme) MIGHT be worn out. Hard to tell without seeing them.
The "PRO4" is quite a good compromise of the attributes mentioned. But they don't last forever!

si_c

Guru
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro I found to be a great long lasting tyre with good puncture protection and they roll really well. They'd last a good 3-4 months when I was doing 300km a week the front up to 6 months.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Michelin Pro4 will give you 5000km on the rear and more on the front ime. If the OP has been averaging 250km a month for two years, it's hardly surprising they're getting punctures. At that distance I'd probably give the tyre the benefit of the doubt at the first puncture but at the second it'd be 'off with the old and on with the new'. I have a Michelin Pro4 Endurance on one wheelset at present. Going well, but less than 4000km on them. I will replace with 4000S2s (have stock of 28s which are aging nicely).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you are running with tubes, I'd recommend Bontrager AW3. I've used them for many years after a recommendation from someone here & they've been great, minimal loss of air issues :okay:

400ixl

Been looking at the Bontrager AW3 to replace my R3's if I am going to cycle outside over the winter. They have released new versions recently which seem to get good reviews and the rolling resistance has improved a lot over the previous ones apparently. The puncture protection is also improved which was supposedly pretty good already.

si_c

Guru
Been looking at the Bontrager AW3 to replace my R3's if I am going to cycle outside over the winter. They have released new versions recently which seem to get good reviews and the rolling resistance has improved a lot over the previous ones apparently. The puncture protection is also improved which was supposedly pretty good already.
I use the AW2 and very happy with it, quite hard wearing and plenty of grip even in bad weather, not had anything by way of punctures really either. That being said I've just swapped to the R3 TLR and gone tubeless but I opted for that as I wanted tanwalls for aesthetics.

Michelin Pro 4s like most tyres of that like IME are good up to a point, then every 2nd ride they p'ture its a sign they need replacing. For me they were a good balance of cost, to weight, to performance and lifespan. After several years with tubeless I prefer what it offers but the initial cost for everyone isn't always palatable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Recently switched to durano plus after years of running rubinos and zaffiro pro, definitely a step up in protection as my commute has a section that is so bad i was getting a puncture at least once a month as its hard to avoid glass and gravel when you cant see them in the dark , laast one i ended up phoning home as i had gone through my 2 spare tubes and i was facing a 6 mile walk at 1 am .

Top Bottom