Sick of punctures - what sleek tyres can i get

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Tubeless, cough cough. It might be worthwhile having a read up about it. They won’t magically stop you wearing out tyres, but can certainly help with the odd puncture. If you want to look at the rolling resistance of tyres and how they compare then take a look at https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ there is also some information on the puncture protection. Personally, I use Conti GP5000 or Schwalbe Pro TLE Addix Depending on price and stock availability. I prefer speed over cost.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Thanks all for your prompt responses. I am going thru them and have some questions. Will post them today.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hello friends - i am back for some advice.
I have michellin pro 4 tyres fitted in 2019.
Did a fair bit of cycling 2019 and 2020. This year i am facing frequent punctures. I am cycling 200 to 400 km per month. Is it time to get new tyres. I am bit sick of changing tubes every other month. What tyres can i get that are tough but wont slow me down. Training to pedal to paris 2022. So speed is also important. Please help.
Did you get frequent punctures in 2019 and 2020?
  • if no, then the type of tyres are fine, just worn out! - replace them.
  • if yes, why has it taken so long to ask the questions^_^

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Did you get frequent punctures in 2019 and 2020?
  • if yes, why has it taken so long to ask the questions^_^
No after i changed to michellin pro i had no punctures till 2020 - i would say used a fair amount - as i did P2P in 2019 and then in 2020 did a lot of cycling as the streets were empty due to pandemic (it was a such a pleasure) - i have started getting the punctures this year. So far thrice or may be 4 times

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Tubeless, cough cough. It might be worthwhile having a read up about it. They won’t magically stop you wearing out tyres, but can certainly help with the odd puncture. If you want to look at the rolling resistance of tyres and how they compare then take a look at https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ there is also some information on the puncture protection. Personally, I use Conti GP5000 or Schwalbe Pro TLE Addix Depending on price and stock availability. I prefer speed over cost.
I have heard about tubeless - is it like once you do it - it cannot be reversed

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No after i changed to michellin pro i had no punctures till 2020 - i would say used a fair amount - as i did P2P in 2019 and then in 2020 did a lot of cycling as the streets were empty due to pandemic (it was a such a pleasure) - i have started getting the punctures this year. So far thrice or may be 4 times
In that case may I refer you to my original point
order 2 x michelin pro....

Mods close the thread....

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Marathon plus if you want proper puncture protection. You might be a bit slower pulling away but once your up to speed they are fine.

simongt

Guru
As any cyclist wil tell you, the choice of tyre is a trade off of what you want most; speed / wet weather grip / puncture resistance / longetivity / rollong resistance etc., etc.. Your choice will depend on which of these you consider most important and the other qualities wil have to take a bit of a back seat as it were. :whistle:
I ride Marathon Plus mostly, but I'm a cruiser not a distance or speed lover and these tyres do very well.

abcd efg

Über Member
+1 for Durano Plus. Tougher than old boots. I've had two punctures, ever, on multiple sets in tens of thousands of miles.
I too have been using Schwalbe Durano Plus for a few years now and only had a puncture every 4000km or so. I did think about switching to Conti Hard Shells but after asking many for advice I decided to stick with what I know.

si_c

Guru
I too have been using Schwalbe Durano Plus for a few years now and only had a puncture every 4000km or so. I did think about switching to Conti Hard Shells but after asking many for advice I decided to stick with what I know.
Probably not worth changing. Over the course of that 4000km you're probably adding less than a second per km for the time it takes to fix a puncture, it would be interesting how much time is lost per km by the slower rolling time.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. I was also thinking - can i get a thicker or better inner tube ? Any thoughts ?

Top Bottom