Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you contacted strava to ask them to un-flag your ride?

Yeah.

potsy

Rambler
Got a couple of pb's today, nice ride to work and back on the Secteur instead of the laden CX.
Knocked 5 seconds off one segment, and 3 off another, little steps :thumbsup:
Nearly forgot to mention, that 5 second improvement moved me up past fossy, gb155 and my fast colleague, just Mr Edwards to get past now :tongue:

Right. I planned a 100 mile ride for today. I've been choking to get under 5hrs for this distance but I chose a more hilly ride than normal. So wasn't too hopeful. The only segment I decided to go for a decent time on was Dukes Pass in the trossachs ( got7th/239 over and 10th/250 up it). Now I used google maps to plan the ride and it came in at exactly 100.1miles. I needed some lozenges for a lurking sore throat so stopped at the local shop then started strava and off I went. Now I did the ride in 4hrs 58min 14 secs. But Strava showed 98.3 and an avg. speed of 19.8mph. I "sprinted" up and down the main drag at the end to complete the 100mile. ended up doing 101.1 and averaging 19.9.

Questions: Which is more accurate Google Maps or Strava/iphone GPS? Can I claim a sub 5hr 100 mile?

Be kind, you know what I want to hear :-) http://app.strava.com/rides/17650777

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Right. I planned a 100 mile ride for today. I've been choking to get under 5hrs for this distance but I chose a more hilly ride than normal. So wasn't too hopeful. The only segment I decided to go for a decent time on was Dukes Pass in the trossachs ( got7th/239 over and 10th/250 up it). Now I used google maps to plan the ride and it came in at exactly 100.1miles. I needed some lozenges for a lurking sore throat so stopped at the local shop then started strava and off I went. Now I did the ride in 4hrs 58min 14 secs. But Strava showed 98.3 and an avg. speed of 19.8mph. I "sprinted" up and down the main drag at the end to complete the 100mile. ended up doing 101.1 and averaging 19.9.

Questions: Which is more accurate Google Maps or Strava/iphone GPS? Can I claim a sub 5hr 100 mile?

Be kind, you know what I want to hear :-) http://app.strava.com/rides/17650777
Google maps won't take into account you taking corners shorter / longer. and thus the distance won't be correct. Just like if you ride exactly the same route to work each day, you probably won't do the same distance.

Google maps won't take into account you taking corners shorter / longer. and thus the distance won't be correct. Just like if you ride exactly the same route to work each day, you probably won't do the same distance.

Bah! Not what I wanted to hear. Crossbar again then

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bah! Not what I wanted to hear. Crossbar again then
Whatever it was, damn good ride there :thumbsup:

doctornige

Oh dear. I just uploaded all my historical ride data (including the first, short tentative rides when I was hopelessly unfit) and have discovered an epic downhill segment that I could probably nail. My latest quick time on this TOP SECRET segment was recorded while being chased down the slope by a tour coach, and it put me third with only 10 seconds to gain form KOM. That's tomorrow morning accounted for then.

400bhp

Guru
Oh dear. I just uploaded all my historical ride data (including the first, short tentative rides when I was hopelessly unfit) and have discovered an epic downhill segment that I could probably nail. My latest quick time on this TOP SECRET segment was recorded while being chased down the slope by a tour coach, and it put me third with only 10 seconds to gain form KOM. That's tomorrow morning accounted for then.

The Brickworks then.:whistle:

Top Bottom