Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mancaus

I'm getting sick of KOM's, you get a KOM and loose it because someone reports it despite it clearly not cheating :\, maybe cause they're jealous or something. Then you get a KOM and the previous holder calls you a stalker for getting it I mean WTF????

And there's those ones where someone just goes faster, like Plymouth Grove. :whistle:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Is it just me or has any one else noticed there are segments being created everywhere :wacko:

And what the hell, since when can people get whole rides deleted? I was blasting it yesterday 11.2 miles from Manchester city center to Wythenshaw via Pars Wood and Cheadle, got a few KOM's, and then I find my ride is deleted?? Absoloute toss pots on Strava, can't deal with being beaten so they have to take actions so they can lie to themselves.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Is it just me or has any one else noticed there are segments being created everywhere :wacko:
I don't mind all the new segments here, theres a nice mix of onroad and offroad stuff like two different competitions. I get a teeny bit annoyed with people making less competitive segments, like ones that go a mile down a popular road but then finish 20 metres down a side road that would be brilliant if they were just trimmed properly, or huge circular loops with 1 rider (not popular club training routes) that probably should be private and you couldnt possibly ride without first having found it and then ridden it specifically to take some random guys KOM, or where theres 3 or 4 segments on slight variations of the same road. Ive also noticed that theres areas of the "explore" map that are so filled with segments you cant get certain ones to show up.

I've made several segments here, but theyve all got a decent rider count and KOM changes hands on them quite frequently. :smile:

Edwards80

Über Member
And what the hell, since when can people get whole rides deleted? I was blasting it yesterday 11.2 miles from Manchester city center to Wythenshaw via Pars Wood and Cheadle, got a few KOM's, and then I find my ride is deleted?? Absoloute toss pots on Strava, can't deal with being beaten so they have to take actions so they can lie to themselves.

Aye I like that one, it's on my commute home. The traffic does tend to slow you down on the bend :sad:

400bhp

Guru

Hi Will, you're on a few of the ones I have done. I haven't had a proper go at this one yet as I don't think I'd get close to you:blush:.

The issue is you are extremely fast. Have a look at your ride when you got KoM on the segment linked above-hitting 43mph in places on the flat. Many people (incorrectly) won't believe that is possible on a bike in the conditions (city flat ride). You're a victim of your own success. I had to have a look at your other KoM's/high places initially to see if you were genuine or not. Clearly a very high place on the Chelford TT proves that you are genuine.

This is one of the problems with Strava and it is probably where it is most likely to fail. If they are starting to see profits coming through then they need to spend a lit of time coming up with some foolproof way of having a "bullshit" meter.

It's fun, but it's not as well. If your rides can be deleted then that is not fun.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It was gatley crossroads to railway bridge, or the one after, I could have gone faster but a Porsche slowed me down. 27.4mph, it's only 0.6 miles 30 should be easilly doable on a good day.

Ah, I can't get that one - far too busy with traffic when I pass there and on a fixed 27mph is a bit much on 78"

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Woodford Road Poynton - any attacks on my KOM are out - that's another road that's being top dressed FFS. Will they stop doing this to roads round here.

400bhp

Guru
Oh, and another thing Will-you're avatar pic on Strava may not help. People might think you are taking the pish. First impressions and all. :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
Woodford Road Poynton - any attacks on my KOM are out - that's another road that's being top dressed FFS. Will they stop doing this to roads round here.

That's good isn't it? :whistle:

There's a segment on the TPT near Jacksons boat pub that may be impossible to do shortly due to the new Metrolink bridge being built. Would be good to get a permanent KoM.:whistle:

mancaus

Will - here's a consolation prize from the deleted ride, and a public acknowledgement that you were pretty quick:

Uh oh! Willhub . just stole your KOM!

Hey Blake,
You just lost your KOM on manc run in reverse to Willhub . by 25 seconds.
Now get out there, have fun and be safe.

-Your friends at Strava

400BHP, is there not a way to flag individual segments, the problem is, flagging a ride deleted all listing. I'm not Mark Cavendish I can't suddenly sprint to 43mph, when I do 30mph down that road I just hold 30mph rather than sprints. I would MUCH prefer to use a my Garmin Edge 605, but it appears to cost £100+ to repair. Any KOM I get though If I'm not confident that it was true then at one point I would flag it myself (untill I find Strava just basically press a button and have the whole ride removed from any listings which is unfair)

I used to use Strava on a HTC Sensation, and from time to time the phone recorded dodgy results, but my current phone (HTC OneX) is bang on when compared to like a Garmin Edge 800.

And what's wrong with my avatar pic?

Top Bottom