1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly STRAVA Racing

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by fossyant, 15 May 2012.

1. thefollen

thefollen Über Member

Thought I'd have a Strava-less ride home today, weights night tonight ;) Although yes it was nice and chilled, I was mildly vexed with the recent southerly headwind being significantly less; and wouldn't you know it, had a fantastic run of lights and less congestion than usual! Damn.

Strava's a real ride-changer. Just knowing it's there whirring away in the background is motivation enough to work the pistons. Almost like a work boss looking over your shoulder as you work: without this you'd maybe check Cyclechat, send an email or two and pace yourself accordingly. With the knowledge they're lurking, you work fast and as diligently as possible.

Whilst I enjoyed not having the pressure of Mr Strava watching on in my rucksack's back pocket, I really missed the buzz of knowing a segment's approaching, assessing the situation and gearing myself up to go for the leaderboard!

SoloCyclist likes this.
  2. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Grrr, decent conditions this evening for a fast lap of Richmond Park on my way home. Got stuck behind a car shortly after getting into the park, due to a cyclist holding the car up by doing about 12mph in primary, with no reason not to move over! Bah :cursing:

3. doctornige

doctornige Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head there. I was out for a 30 minute lunch ride today and knew I was going to post the time, so I put a bit more effort in. Came in in 21 mins. I shaved a THIRD off my usual time, and I felt like I had had a decent workout. Got to find a longer lunch ride now!

And of course, to the detractors in the US currently suing Strava for the death of that 41yo male who did himself in trying to regain a KOM place, I was sensible enough not to overtake a slow motorbike going down from Chapel (I totally could have though, and he knew it!).

4. potsy

potsy Birder

Got mt first KOM tonight :dance: who cares if there are only 4 people on the leaderboard? :whistle:

Andrew_Culture likes this.
  5. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Link to the segment or it didn't happen! :evil:

6. potsy

potsy Birder

No chance, don't want it going just yet :tongue:

7. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

8. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

I don't get it Potsy. The board shows trevor sharpe as top but you as KOM... most peculiar

9. potsy

potsy Birder

:unsure: There were only 4 on there before, now 7.
    Probably becaus it is a very recently added segment :whistle: and has now been updated.

I'll be back :evil:

10. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Ahhh, it does lag sometimes while it builds the leaderboard. Happened to me a cpl of weeks ago when I created a new segment and was sure I was KOM. A few minutes later I was knocked off top spot, as other historical rides were added to it...

11. Crimmey

Crimmey Well-Known Member

Ive already flagged that Noel d00d up once and he's at it again. He's nicking my KOM! :P I give up.

12. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

Two Segments are out of action for a while....

Didsbury Road from Parrs Wood and Stockport Road West climb, the council have sprayed the road with a 'topcoat' of loose fine chippings, and it's a nightmare.

13. Andrew_P

Andrew_P In between here and there

Well inspired by scoping my potential KOM on my forth coming Holiday I created a one from my last holiday jaunt in eager anticipation of a position (well rather hoping it was going to be just me) and I had not given it much thought as I would have been with my eldest to teach how to ride on the road! http://app.strava.com/segments/2029779 10th place!!

Out of 10 lol Decided not create anymore

14. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

Blimey - the opera singer is in 1st:whistle:

15. Andrew_P

Andrew_P In between here and there

I did think that he the right sort of area to be living in!