Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We don't have a thread on this, so thought I'd start one as there are some underlying 'competitive' streaks bubbling, and I'm just as bad as everyone. Silly STRAVA Racing :laugh:

There have been PM's between Me, Potsy and GB155 for the last couple of weeks, including picture messages of certain segments - all to keep each other guessing. :whistle:

Funniest thing was, Potsy sent me a PM asking for me to give Brinny Hill a shot, as he was sick of seeing his colleague at the top. So that evening, I gave it a go. Coughing and spluttering my guts up for a couple of hours after, I'd pipped Potsy's mate to it by 5 seconds.

What's happened now is there are a few folk from Potsy's work place going for it. I can see this getting all out of hand, there will be dead cyclists all over the main road in Brinnington. ;)

No longer has the Commute to work or a 'training ride' ever got so hard. Some quality interval training though. :whistle:

There have been a few of us going for fastest time down a hill :wacko:, never mind up it, and there are some real bizzar sections that can't be achieved, other than at 1.00am in the morning when no-one is around.

It's all fun though, good healthy fun xx(

So what's your Silly STRAVA Racing ?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I wish GPS didn't kill my phone battery.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The truly silly segments are the one's that contain traffic lights or junctions, as it encourages people to RLJ or punch out into traffic just to break a record. It amazes me that people still create segments this way, not understanding that it makes a mockery of any completion as you cannot control traffic patterns or light sequences. Consequently I only compete on straight through segments, and mostly only uphill or long flat TT type runs.

400bhp

Guru
Right - where's this Brinny hill? I might make a detour that way tonight

[excuse mode already - am on my heavy hybrid]

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Only joined up to it the other day to see what all the fuss is about.
It is pretty crap from the point of view that you can't see if you have any top 20's etc... anywhere. You have to click in each individual segment and see where you are.

I won't bother doing it on the commute as I'm carrying too much weight to give anything a decent go.

I will look at some of the hills around me and see if there are any segments with some times I could realistically challenge, although with the weight I'm carrying now, it will be hard work.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There have been a few of us going for fastest time down a hill :wacko:, never mind up it, and there are some real bizzar sections that can't be achieved, other than at 1.00am in the morning when no-one is around.

So what's your Silly STRAVA Racing ?

Hills :whistle: don't know what you are talking about. and I certainly wouldn't be seen going fast down here as a car might get in your way and cost you a vital 4 seconds :cursing:.

potsy

Rambler
Right - where's this Brinny hill? I might make a detour that way tonight

[excuse mode already - am on my heavy hybrid]
Most people detour away from brinny, not to it :eek:
the best bit is finding new segments on your commute route, certainly made the ride to work more interesting, even a slow Bugger like me is getting addicted :surrender:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only joined up to it the other day to see what all the fuss is about.
It is pretty crap from the point of view that you can't see if you have any top 20's etc... anywhere. You have to click in each individual segment and see where you are.

I won't bother doing it on the commute as I'm carrying too much weight to give anything a decent go.

I will look at some of the hills around me and see if there are any segments with some times I could realistically challenge, although with the weight I'm carrying now, it will be hard work.

If you look at a ride you have done, it tells you any segments you've gone through.

And what about weight - I got the Brinny Hill with fully loaded panniers and on fixed. I've even matched one long climb on loaded fixed vs road bike. I've also got one flat segment riding fixed so my top speed is limited. It's do-able, very do-able.

Top Bottom