Similar to Maldives but without the price!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you want real chill, no nightlife (barring the entertainment at the hotel), very few people, quiet beaches, blue sea, warm enough to swim in but not tropical...Cape Verde.
When we arrived, the interior is a bit like Mars, a bit alarming....but endless beautiful sandy beaches with very few people beyond the bit the hotel has its beds etc on....it was a revelation, the ultimate unwind, sit on the sand, swim in the crashing (but seemingly safe) waves, relax, empty your head and chill holiday I ever had.
But theres very little else there (we went to Sal)

Edited , apologies, I missed the New Year bit, no idea what Cape Verde is like at that time of year,, we went August time.

Last edited:

dodgy

We went to the Maldives in about 2005 (I will have to check the date). It was to be the holiday of a lifetime. The accommodation was in fact superb, I mean really amazing. We had a little hut/villa on stilts with private access in to the lagoon, octopus, rays, small sharks nipping at the stilts in the evening, all lit up by underwater lamps. It was amazing.
But.
By day 3 I was bored off my tits.
Seriously. I really wanted to appreciate it, but I was simply bored. I know I sound ungrateful.
So don't worry about not going there, if you're an active person there are better holidays. Having said that, there were a few recreational divers at the resort who seemed to enjoy it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If you want closer - Mauritius / Cape Verde (as mentioned above). I'd also echo South Africa and the coast - after we had been volunteering in Swaziland, which I'd recommend visiting, we had a break in a beach lodge near Richard's Bay. No-one else in sight all day long.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sal, Cape Verde, 200 yards behind, you see the hotel beachbeds....
20150807_104828.jpg

And beyond as far as you can see....same either side of the hotel
20150807_105125.jpg

It goes on like that for maybe 2 miles.

Attachments

• 20150807_104828.jpg
    20150807_104828.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4
We went to the Maldives in about 2005 (I will have to check the date). It was to be the holiday of a lifetime. The accommodation was in fact superb, I mean really amazing. We had a little hut/villa on stilts with private access in to the lagoon, octopus, rays, small sharks nipping at the stilts in the evening, all lit up by underwater lamps. It was amazing.
But.
By day 3 I was bored off my tits.
Seriously. I really wanted to appreciate it, but I was simply bored. I know I sound ungrateful.
So don't worry about not going there, if you're an active person there are better holidays. Having said that, there were a few recreational divers at the resort who seemed to enjoy it.
Friends of mine have said the same thing... if you don't enjoy a few hours a day snorkelling/diving its not the place to go. You can walk around some islands in 10 mins. The isolation appeals to some, not others. We went to Kuredu in 2019, its huge, you could even watch the inter-island league on the Kuredu FC footy pitch! Magical place though and easily the best beaches and sea I have seen. Remote parts of the Philippines aside, but who goes there?

Dan77

Koh Chang is nice. There are some smaller islands nearby within the national park if you want to be even more isolated but I think there are resorts on Koh Chang which give you that feel whilst still being able to take a bus to town for the bars, shops, etc.

Koh Chang is nice. There are some smaller islands nearby within the national park if you want to be even more isolated but I think there are resorts on Koh Chang which give you that feel whilst still being able to take a bus to town for the bars, shops, etc.
+1....it's our favourite island here, Lanta being second choice. Big downer though is quarantine on arrival, down to 10 days now, but until they drop this can't see anyone wanting to come for a typical length of vacation.

Bali for the widest options for nearly all travel attributes
Price - budget to luxuries
Beaches - busy to quiet stretches
Accommodation site - city or an isolated forest with infinity pool with nothing but natural greenery to bright green rice terraces
Accommodation type - 5 star high rise hotels to villas
Mix and match - somedays quite and idyllic and somedays busy night markets, you won't get bored
Book a table at a 5 star for NY celebration and enjoy with people from across the world.
Nice people, warm and tropical,
value for money

Last edited:
On a more serious note OP, save some money, and lots of jet fuel, and airtime.
I can recommend Sardinia.
Flights from all over the country usually.
Some spectacular beaches, particularly if you are prepared to walk a bit - a google will show you pics
Beaches so great they have had to start fining some folks for nicking sand.
Plenty hot enough and in fact I would avoid July/August - plus for other reasons.
Great cheap wine - some of the best from pumps into your own jerry cans.
Great food.
Also a very interesting interior - ancient remains etc.,
And excellent cycling - either on very good tarmac or white roads.

contadino

Veteran
On a more serious note OP, save some money, and lots of jet fuel, and airtime.
I can recommend Sardinia.
Flights from all over the country usually.
Some spectacular beaches, particularly if you are prepared to walk a bit - a google will show you pics
Beaches so great they have had to start fining some folks for nicking sand.
Plenty hot enough and in fact I would avoid July/August - plus for other reasons.
Great cheap wine - some of the best from pumps into your own jerry cans.
Great food.
Also a very interesting interior - ancient remains etc.,
And excellent cycling - either on very good tarmac or white roads. View attachment 582403

The Maldives have the benefit of having manta rays to swim with, but I'd take Italy over the Maldives any day.

Top Bottom