Similar to Maldives but without the price!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Not sure if they are first class flights, but never spent that sort of money? June to October you can generally get decent deals. Been four times and the cheapest was the best. It was £800 for both of us for 2 weeks ^_^

Thanks GF - who was that through if you don't mend me asking? Seems fantastically cheap for a long-haul holiday.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Vietnam :okay:
And then over to Siem Reap for the wonder that truly is Angkor Wat

However, you’ve plenty of money you say, interest rates are pathetic and you can’t take it with you so why not just go to the Maldives if that’s what you really fancy

Yup, more than enough money to 'see us out' however we do like to get VFM for what we spend and we are not convinced that the prices we've found give us that.

Haven't considered Vietnam tbh so that's a big unknown - just looking for a chilled dossing holiday somewhere hot and relaxed. Also been looking at Mauritius too which seems rather nice.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

What's the budget, and when do you want to go. Biggest issues.

Can't even go 65 miles into Wales at the moment at our caravan. Just did 56 miles to West Kirby to wave at where our caravan is today... :laugh:

No real budget, we just want good value and to have some fun without paying silly OTT prices - we tend to balk at above £6-8000 especially after a ghastly holiday in The Dominican Republic some while back that cost us a lot and simply didn't deliver.

We are free agents re timing.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

If you want real chill, no nightlife (barring the entertainment at the hotel), very few people, quiet beaches, blue sea, warm enough to swim in but not tropical...Cape Verde.
When we arrived, the interior is a bit like Mars, a bit alarming....but endless beautiful sandy beaches with very few people beyond the bit the hotel has its beds etc on....it was a revelation, the ultimate unwind, sit on the sand, swim in the crashing (but seemingly safe) waves, relax, empty your head and chill holiday I ever had.
But theres very little else there (we went to Sal)

Edited , apologies, I missed the New Year bit, no idea what Cape Verde is like at that time of year,, we went August time.

Thanks for that, sounds nice too - I typed NY for Next Year. :smile:

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Thank you very much for all the replies - much appreciated and some food for thought there.

We'll give Skeggy a miss though although we had a great time walking and listening to a couple of live bands over an evening pub meal when we were there.

Thanks GF - who was that through if you don't mend me asking? Seems fantastically cheap for a long-haul holiday.
It was via Co-Op Travel a few years back now and on half board basis to Fihalhohi Island. Stunning reef around all of the island and nice simple beach bungalows

gbb

Legendary Member
I should add regarding Cape Verde, The Maldives or Mauritius it's not. There is very little lush greenery there, the small town nearby was 'somewhat rundown' but ok, you can walk there safely, you will get accosted by friendly but determined sellers. The interior of Sal is visually like Mars^_^. Youd rely on the hotels for entertainment although there were a few trips, there are restaurants nearby but it's so quiet there,they often werent open.
It's a hotel holiday, use their facilities, relax, you see how wonderful the beaches are within yards of the hotel itself, the Riu hotels are quite acceptable, almost village like in our hotel.
But that's it....best holiday I ever had, no, not at all, but once you relaxed and fitted into it, it had something I'd never experienced...a complete shut down in yourself which was a nice thing to do...and walk along miles of peacefull beaches...if youre that way inclined.

Dave7

Legendary Member
What's the budget, and when do you want to go. Biggest issues.

Can't even go 65 miles into Wales at the moment at our caravan. Just did 56 miles to West Kirby to wave at where our caravan is today... :laugh:
Did you get a Kelly's Cornish ice cream while you were there ?

Top Bottom