Simon Mayo Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Do they still do that thing when middle class parents call in about their amazing plans to visit their second home in the Dordogne at the weekend?
Or kids with names like Tarquin or Zebelda, calling in with cut-glass accents discussing their upcoming trip to the Loire valley?

You never hear about John going to Talacre with his single mum, do you?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In general, the changes to R2 over the last year have not been that good. Cerys Matthews taking over from Paul Jones on the Blues show does not sit nicely.
When did that happen? Paul was a dyed in the wool blues man and he could dig out some great stuff plus he had real enthusiasm for the genre. Haven't heard Matthews. Can't imagine it working though.
I guess the beeb thought he was getting too old so bolt through neck. Shame.

I like Mayo, on the 'drive-time', granted I still really miss Johnny Walker in that slot, but he decided to leave
Most of the time it works, & he has some good guests, & asks intelligent questions
Still getting used to it with Jo Whiley

As for the cookery?, I thought that went out with Jimmy Young?
("What's the recipe today, Jim??")

In general, the changes to R2 over the last year have not been that good. Cerys Matthews taking over from Paul Jones on the Blues show does not sit nicely.
Ahh, but her accent:wub:
(almost as nice as Hafdis Huld, the Icelandic singer)

And, as for DJs swapping around?
Mark Radcliffe (Picadilly - Radio 1 - Radio 2 - 6 Music)

Who can forget his teaming up with Marc Riley, & the awful adventures of 'Fat Harry White'??:rofl:
I remember the 'Out On Blue 6', when it was on R1

Brandane

Legendary Member
Mayo is no longer presenting the Friday request show either
At least SOMETHING positive has come from the changes, then; for the reasons outlined by @dodgy above.
Hopefully the annoying Muppet theme song will go down the drain along with the oh so perfect call-in guests they manage to find for the request show.
I might have felt differently if just occasionally they had "Wee Shug fae Greenock" on the show, who was going to spend the weekend getting out his face on Buckie with his mates, watching the Celtic game on Saturday, and doing a lie-in at Greenock Police Station cells on Sunday night! :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
At least SOMETHING positive has come from the changes, then; for the reasons outlined by @dodgy above.
Hopefully the annoying Muppet theme song will go down the drain along with the oh so perfect call-in guests they manage to find for the request show.
I might have felt differently if just occasionally they had "Wee Shug fae Greenock" on the show, who was going to spend the weekend getting out his face on Buckie with his mates, watching the Celtic game on Saturday, and doing a lie-in at Greenock Police Station cells on Sunday night! :smile:
The constant forced reference to drinking Prosecco was very grating.

The best call i ever heard was from a very posh girl on her way to their country estate in the West Country.
Simon asked if mum and dad were in the car, and she said no, the nanny is driving! Her parents were already at the estate.
Even Simon seemed a bit uncomfortable.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That blasted Muppet song had me switching off. And I hate phone requests on shows, they are invariably boring and go on forever. just read out the text or email as quickly as possible and get on with the music.

Drive Time has never been the same since JW left.

Top Bottom