Simon Mayo Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

This is by far the best theme tune of any radio station -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HVne4upl78

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to love Drive time. I have tried to stay with it but there is no chemistry. It’s dreadful.
Even worse is Jonathan Ross subbing for Steve Wright, who is awful nowadays. Wossy is even worse.
I turn off after Ken Bruce now, although I listen to Tony Blackburn and keep meaning to listen to Woo, Gary Davis on catchup.
I am with you......up to a point.
When you say you "turn off after Ken Bruce" are you saying you listen to Chris Evans :eek:. I cannot stand him. He thinks everything revolves around him. He just cannot shut up and insists on blabbering on over great songs or guitar solos etc. I live a few hundred yards from where he was brought up but still cant stand him.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm forty something, but I'm still more inclined to tune into BBC radio 1 or 6music than BBC radio 2, and I have fond memories of listening to the Simon Mayo breakfast show in the 90's, but Jo Whiley has been tedious since she first appeared co-presenting with Steve Lamacq on the evening session on radio 1...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That blasted Muppet song had me switching off. And I hate phone requests on shows, they are invariably boring and go on forever. just read out the text or email as quickly as possible and get on with the music.

Drive Time has never been the same since JW left.

Pah, Walker was a pirate chancer.

The drive time host and one of the most effortless and professional broadcasters ever was the inimitable John Dunn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/about/pressrelease_johndunn.shtml

I agree with most of the posts. I was listening to Simon Mayo whilst coming back from Portland over a week ago and couldn't understand why Whiley had taken over the show.
I was looking forward to the Confession part which used to be at the start of the programme and had to wait and listen to a lot of drivel and rubbish music. I like programmes to have some humour and banter but it was totally lacking .

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I agree with most of the posts. I was listening to Simon Mayo whilst coming back from Portland over a week ago and couldn't understand why Whiley had taken over the show.
I was looking forward to the Confession part which used to be at the start of the programme and had to wait and listen to a lot of drivel and rubbish music. I like programmes to have some humour and banter but it was totally lacking .
Just download the podcast for the Confessions :okay:

Was never a fan of Radio 1: annoying DJs and (mostly) shite music (preferred Capital Radio).

However I did hear a few of the 'Confessions' on the Simon Mayo Show, with this one in particular, which always makes me chuckle when I think about it.

Dear Simon,

This confession goes back to 1964. I was fourteen years old and living near Guildford. The person to whom I must confess is my sister, June, who to this day thinks her pet hamster, Hammy, disappeared by escaping from his cage in our dining room. Wrong.

At this time, I was very engrossed in radio-controlled model aircraft and I used to go to a local cricket ground with a friend to fly my latest acquisition, a three-channel 60" wingspan 'KeilKraft Matador'. The actual cricket pitch made a perfectly smooth take-off and landing strip for the aircraft and I soon became very proficient at the controls.

Now there was a television programme called 'Tales of the Riverbank' for younger viewers which featured a hamster which, amongst other things, used to be seen driving a jeep and a boat. So I thought, I wonder if Hammy would like a flight on my aeroplane?

On further discussion with my friend, we duly selected a shoe box complete with holes in both ends and transported Hammy and my aeroplane – which had a large cockpit area, plenty of room for Hammy – to the cricket ground. We popped him in, complete with carrots, and, after starting up, taxied him down the runway ready for take-off.

My friend and I lay down on the ground when he went past to get a proper perspective of his size and make the whole flight more realistic. We could see Hammy sitting up looking through the cockpit window. After three or four circuits of the playing fields I landed him and he was still looking out through the cockpit having obviously enjoyed the whole trip.

This little treat for Hammy was repeated on several more occasions. Until one day, after having taken off, the aeroplane was coming towards us, nice and low for a flypast when I suddenly noticed a distinct slackness in the controls. I made the aircraft turn and bank away in a large arc and on its second flypast, I lost radio control altogether. Hammy passed for the last time over our heads, still gazing intently through the front screen, obviously still enjoying himself unaware of the pending disaster.

My continued efforts of frantically prodding the controls for some response were alas to no avail, the aircraft and Hammy continued to climb steadily away into the sunset until it was literally in the clouds and then out of sight. After the shock of losing my aeroplane my thoughts turned to my sister. She adored Hammy, what was I to do? After some thought, I staged a 'breakout' from the hamster cage. That wire is really tough stuff when you try to chomp it with wire cutters to look like it was teeth but, with a little sawdust scattered on the floor, the stage was set.

The final result was very convincing and imagine my relief when my father told my broken-hearted and by now sobbing sister that it was quite common for hamsters to gnaw through wire in this fashion and that Hammy had probably gone out the back door and is now living back with nature.

I'm very sorry and I am glad to have told someone else about the poor hamster's demise.

Yours sincerely,

Keith

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am with you......up to a point.
When you say you "turn off after Ken Bruce" are you saying you listen to Chris Evans :eek:. I cannot stand him. He thinks everything revolves around him. He just cannot shut up and insists on blabbering on over great songs or guitar solos etc. I live a few hundred yards from where he was brought up but still cant stand him.
I used to loathe CE but I kind of like him as he has some great guests on. I can’t listen for too long as he starts to grate. I thought that Vassos did a great job of standing in for him when Chris’ Mum died, the other week.

Top Bottom