Single Speed clunking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
Just converted my mtb to a single speed thanks to Redbike supplying me with the required kit. However it is now clunking. I didn't ride it before single speeding it and have spent sometime on the chainline. I'm guessing that it is either the chain or freewheel I have tried different bb and chainset.

Any ideas?

RedBike

Try it with the 12tooth sprocket and although the chain will fall off try it without the tensioner - process of elimination.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Thanks for the advice redbike. I replaced the chain and removed a few more links too, played with the lateral adjustment on the tensioner and bang job done, it's all working wonderfully now :sad:

Thanks for the great deal. I am now a happy bunny :biggrin:

RedBike

I'm glad it's all sorted.

I will be trying to use a half link to run my vertical dropout frame without a tensioner. Fingers crossed.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
RedBike said:
I'm glad it's all sorted.

I will be trying to use a half link to run my vertical dropout frame without a tensioner. Fingers crossed.

How did you get on with this?
Thinking about trying this myself and ditching the tensioner.

RedBike

It's working but the chain is slowly becoming slacker and slacker as it stretches with each ride.
Eventually the chain will become too slack and start slipping / bouncing off. Hopefully before it reaches this stage I will be able to remove the half-link and effectively re-tighten the chain.

If you scroll down and look at the third picture here http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/08/camping-with-9-ladies.html
you can see one very slack chain and a chain tensioner thats not actually in contact with the chain. The tensioners there just incase it was needed (which thankfully it wasn't).

Top Bottom