Sit down or stand up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickieshep

Regular
At 52 yrs, I am new to road cycling (mtb for a number of years) and am finding on longer rides I suffer from lower back pain when climbing hills.
Talking to various people, some have said suffer it, it gets better. Others have said stand up when climbing.
Any advice will be much appreciated

young Ed

Veteran
try each and sea what you find?
is bike properly set up for you? can you get a professional to check it?
how about the saddle is that any good? remember the saddle is very personal
Cheers Ed

U

User6179

I would try stretching exercises to see if that helps .

@Trickieshep alternate, there is no right or wrong, I don't climb many big hills here, but when I ventured towards the Pennines there are a couple, I will get out of the saddle to rest certain muscles, then go back to the saddle, this will also help with the lower back as it also gets to move position.

Studley

I'm 52, I also suffer back pain when I'm either pushing too hard on the flats or when I'm pushing up hills, dancing on the pedals seems to make it worse for me. I can regulate the pain to some degree through the use of lower gears but it's easy to overdo it it and before you know it the pain comes on. Gonna try doing some back strengthening and stretching exercises over winter see if that helps.

OP
OP
T

Trickieshep

Regular
Thanks for the replies.
A friend of the wifes has been today and suggested Pilates, apparently it is very good for stretching and strengthening the back.
My missus is looking to sign us both on a 4 week course:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the replies.
A friend of the wifes has been today and suggested Pilates, apparently it is very good for stretching and strengthening the back.
Hi, don't do many hills, me! :whistle:
Couple of months ago a few cchatters basically forced me up this Alp :smile: felt some back pain, first time ever really.
A few weeks later, while riding, I pulled a muscle in my back: the physio recommended Pilates for muscle strength, saying it will benefit the cycling too.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Hi I had back pain for the first few weeks of cycling and now matter how much I stretched it still ached. After lots of Googling and asking around I decided to go for a bike fit at Specialized in Chester.

Two and a half hours of measuring, adjusting, readjusting and a movement of the seat and stem I now have a great riding position. I went from lower back after 10 mins of cycling to no pain whatsoever. I am only up to cycling for a max 25 miles at the moment but everything seems easier. It was £200, but £200 well spent and I would highly recommend it.

LordGrover

Regular
I'm not an experienced cyclist, but suffered lower back issues for years. The best thing I ever did was take up weight lifting. Lower back pain is often a symptom of another issue or issues, such as tight hamstrings or under developed quads.
I'm also 52 and not suffered any back pain for ten years now, except self inflicted stupidity. :wacko:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
At 52 yrs, I am new to road cycling (mtb for a number of years) and am finding on longer rides I suffer from lower back pain when climbing hills.
Talking to various people, some have said suffer it, it gets better. Others have said stand up when climbing.
Any advice will be much appreciated
A lot of people find that a bit of both helps, i.e. stand up when your bum and/or back need a bit of a break.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whats a longer ride?

Bike setup properly?

Bike the correct size?
What he said !
I think there are too many factors without knowing a lot more about you, your set up and the rides you do .
Core strength + flexibility certainly help but without knowing if you have your bike set up right , are your grinding or spinning etc etc its hard to say .

If i had to hazard a guess i would go for ...
Overgeared on climbs , which means when your climbing as your putting extra effort in your straining weak areas cuased by poor core strength and tight hamstrings which pull on your lower back.
So , install a wider range cassette and pilates should help .Learn to ride sitting down and standing up to vary muscle groups used .
Theres no correct way to climb , find what works for you , i found this clip the other day

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGbu_LptJ3A

Boon 51

Veteran
Thanks for the replies.

Just remembered I did have lazy calf muscles and now with plenty of calf muscle exercise's climbing is also a bit better.

Top Bottom