Six Nations Rugby 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm English to the core and a life-long lover of England Rugby.

But I have a very uneasy feeling? We are going to get our arses handed to us on a plate.

Lancaster, who doesn't have the best resource pool to chose from, hasn't picked the best XV. His decisions off the bench are questionable at the best of times, and unless the body snatchers are at work and he's been swapped out for an alien clone he'll have coached the players he has got fit to play 2D route one rugby, with tea breaks at the breakdowns, and with no Plan B when it turns out all the oppo are decent footballers, hate our guts and are going to try to maim us...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If he plays like this, I think international level will be a given. Just hope he has a bad day when he plays against the Tigers.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nypjveeu9D8

Send in Sam. For a straight red card if he 'tackles' like that in Union.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think Wales will win tonight. England are plagued by injuries at the moment, and I don't think they can pull it off.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I watched Bath vs Wasps last month - Burgess was a force of nature, breaking through tackles seemingly at will. Whether he can do it consistently and make the step up to international class is another question.
Big gulf between the Boshership and real test match rugby. I'm not convinced yet that he will make the grade. Tons of potential for sure but I fear the hype will get him selected before he is really ready.

Venod

Eh up
Big gulf between the Boshership and real test match rugby. I'm not convinced yet that he will make the grade. Tons of potential for sure but I fear the hype will get him selected before he is really ready.

Yes an all new ball game, sure he's tough enough just needs to learn the finer points, if he can do that I'm sure he will be an asset to the England squad.

U

User482

You know far more about it than I do. The law of averages suggests you're right - just look at the tiny handful of players who've switched codes and achieved at the very highest level.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You know far more about it than I do. The law of averages suggests you're right - just look at the tiny handful of players who've switched codes and achieved at the very highest level.
I fear that has very little to do with the ability of the code-switchers and an awful lot to do with the minds of the folk who run rugby union.

The "dynamic breakdown" is a hallmark of the Union game, and the most significant difference to League, a fine sport in its own right, and to adapt to the demands of that breakdown zone at the highest levels when you've not been exposed to it since early adulthood is asking an awful lot of an athlete.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
My heart says an England win tonight, my head says Wales. If England do not not win the six nations I hope it goes to Wales. I have relations in the Trawsfynydd area.

do they still glow in the dark :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's the last 20 mins against Wales I worry about. Most of the starting 15 can do the job, but I'm not convinced by the bench.
First 20 - England don't turn up Wales ahead at end of 1Q
Second 20 - England finally arrive and slow everything down - not much in it at HT
Third 20 - English hopes will rise as Welsh concentration goes awol England edge into a narrow lead as the clock hits 60.
Last 20 - an increasingly inexplicable series of substitutions, coupled with poor decision making on the pitch, will see England lose all shape and plan allowing Wales to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
Crowd goes wild, etc..

And I predict at least 3 OH FFS! penalties given away for no good reason by seasoned England internationals.

Wafer

Veteran
Eh, I have hopes of the England backs though they are lacking experience it's more exciting than Farrell, 12trees, barrit. If the pack holds its own I hope the first 20 won't be one of those. That's pretty much my worry with the last 20 though

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Eh, I have hopes of the England backs though they are lacking experience it's more exciting than Farrell, 12trees, barrit. If the pack holds its own I hope the first 20 won't be one of those. That's pretty much my worry with the last 20 though

I have a feeling the Welsh will win this one. In common with the Jocks, it doesn't matter how poor the team ( and the current Wales team is anything but poor) they will always play outside themselves when facing England.

Having said that Owen Farrell is injured so England may have a Fly half who can do something other than run blindly into trouble or kick straight into touch.....

subaqua

What’s the point
First 20 - England don't turn up Wales ahead at end of 1Q
Second 20 - England finally arrive and slow everything down - not much in it at HT
Third 20 - English hopes will rise as Welsh concentration goes awol England edge into a narrow lead as the clock hits 60.
Last 20 - an increasingly inexplicable series of substitutions, coupled with poor decision making on the pitch, will see England lose all shape and plan allowing Wales to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
Crowd goes wild, etc..

And I predict at least 3 OH FFS! penalties given away for no good reason by seasoned England internationals.

I could actually substitute English for Welsh there and it would still read right.

Wafer

Veteran
I am interested to see how Wales, Ireland, Scotland and to a lesser extent Italy do following the domestic European changes. Now teams have to try a little harder in the pro12 to ensure qualification for the better European competition they can't rest stars in the league so much. This already seems to have affected their performance in Europe, though it might just be an off year, will be interesting to see if the extra workload of players in pro12 teams affects national teams too.

Don't think Italy will be so affected and Wales might've gotten central contracts in place at the right time to deal with some of that too (I believe Sam Warburton was rested after just 4 games in pro12 at the start of the season) but we'll see.

Top Bottom