Skinny?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I love watching cycling events, especially Le Tour de France. I never thought about this before, but while watching the replay of stage 3 (team time trial) of the Tour, it dawned on me as each team took their turn and readied themselves for the start, that they are quite thin, especially in the arms. Don't get me wrong, I think they are among, if not, the fittest of athletes. I can't imagine any other sporting event athlete keeping up with these riders. I really take my hat off to these guys. They push themselves to the very limit of human endurance, and, unfortunately, many crash and receive terrible injuries, but like troupers, they climb back on their bikes and pedal on with a profound determination to complete the tour. Now, these guys have incredibly powerful legs, and that power comes into play when they climb those high mountains, like the Alpe d'Huez, for example. But what it is it with the rest of their bodies. It seams that many just ignore developing their upper torso, especially their arms. There must be a logical reason. Is it because they want to be as light as possible to make it easier to ride? Like the bikes, so be the rider. Or is it that they simply don't bother and focus on legs above all else?

Can only assume weight. But don't confuse "weedy-looking" with "weak". No part of them is other than very fit, just not bulked up.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Can only assume weight. But don't confuse "weedy-looking" with "weak". No part of them is other than very fit, just not bulked up.
They are definitely not weak, by any means. They are the fittest of athletes, and their insurance levels are non comparable. Just wondering why they maintain that “weedy-looking appearance as you said. Like you, I assume weight.

The pro’s are constantly walking a tightrope between minimising their weight and maintaining their power / strength. Unless you are a severe asthmatic and using a powerful drug which is supposed to only be used with strict medical supervision, under a TUE *cough* Bradley *cough* it’s difficult to drop weight whilst maintaining power. The pro’s have highly qualified and experienced nutritionists on the team, who’s job it is to ensure the riders are in the optimum ‘trim’.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

The pro’s are constantly walking a tightrope between minimising their weight and maintaining their power / strength. Unless you are a severe asthmatic and using a powerful drug which is supposed to only be used with strict medical supervision, under a TUE *cough* Bradley *cough* it’s difficult to drop weight whilst maintaining power. The pro’s have highly qualified and experienced nutritionists on the team, who’s job it is to ensure the riders are in the optimum ‘trim’.
Nicely explained, but isn’t it Frume with the asthma? Yes, I can see that it’s a delicate balance with weight and power, and with the help of their nutritionists, they are spot on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The reason is that despite the calorie-intense food they eat, their bodies actually rob their arms and shoulders for muscle so you are seeing extremely selective malnourishment. Sprinters, climbers and rouleurs train so intensively for their own discipline that their bodies react by adding and debiting muscle where needed.

Few of us non-medics appreciate how quickly the body responds to stress or lack of stress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Yes. He was using a Salbutamol inhaler, which isn’t what Bradley was using.
I didn’t know Bradley was asthmatic as well.

Last edited:

fatjel

Veteran
I wouldn’t be shocked if they were all asthmatic

Am very much looking forward to watching them come through here next weekend

Ajax Bay

Guru
The pro’s are constantly walking a tightrope between minimising their weight and maintaining their power / strength. Unless you are a severe asthmatic and using a powerful drug which is supposed to only be used with strict medical supervision, under a TUE *cough* Bradley *cough* it’s difficult to drop weight whilst maintaining power.
An oblique and cheap shot, but your 'condition' is satisfied: the athlete is an asthmatic and had been since his teens, a doctor had so prescribed and the TUE had been authorised by the UCI authority. As @jowwy says:
it's a very well known fact that Bradley has suffered from asthma, but some numpties like to forget that fact
For the full (subjective) story:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/30/bradley-wiggins-full-story-asthma-allergies-tues

Top Bottom