Sky ‘Professional’ Cycling Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Team Fiwip

Are Sky suggesting by their title that other teams are somehow less professional? Victories in an Adelaide warm-up criterium, a semi-classic and made to measure prologue will hardly have the other ‘pro’ teams quaking in their boots! Lets face facts Brailsford’s track success is more likely to do with circumstance, i.e. a group of outstanding riders at the right time, rather than his delusional academic prowess. Furthermore, as many in the cycling world have commented, inc Cavendish, track success even at Olympic level is a poor relation to top flight road success, something that Sky are all too short of. As many big spending football teams have found, big budgets do not necessarily buy a team. The repercussions of his contract breaking dealings will not be forgotten by many established and dare I say ’more professional’ cycling teams leaving them outcasts in the peloton for many yrs to come.

SimonC

What an original post.

"Made to measure" prologue - presumably you are inferring that the organisers of the Giro specifically targetted Wiggins as the man they would most like to win the prologue, and then designed the course to suit him??

You are right to say that big budgets do not necessarily bring success, but time maybe will, something you are clearly not prepared to give. Would it not would be fairer to take a view at the end of the season as to whether they have acheived what they have set out to acheive.

Will1985

Über Member
Troll - if you looked carefully at the names of other teams, especially on their websites and on the vehicles, Pro or Professional appears frequently.

Liquigas Pro Cycling Team
SaxoBank Professional Cycling Team
Garmin-Transitions Pro Cycling Team
Cervelo Pro Cycling Test Team
Skil-Shimano Professional Cycling Team
Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team

That's six - check others before posting!

iLB

Hello there
cadel evans? :rolleyes:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I like the kit too, however I wouldnt be seen dead wearing the replica kit while on my bike, its just begging to be mocked and teased by fellow cyclists, lol

OP
OP
T

Team Fiwip

It appears to be one team according to the UCI i.e. how the team is
referred to on start sheets, results, etc. http://www.uciprotour.com/templates/UCI/UCI2/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU4MzI&LangId=1 That aside I was merely suggesting the prologue suited Wiggo's attributes down to the ground, the Adelaide victory was nothing special, Flecha’s win in the Het Volk was good but fell short of Sky’s claim that they would be strong in the classics, “With Sky we have a strong team for the classics, and I think we will have great results." (Boasson Hagen). My views on Brailsford remain, I now hear he’s waving the cheque book under Kreuziger ‘s nose. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a Sky knocker, I hope Wiggins has a great ride in the Tour, its just that I don’t want to see mega-bucks ripping teams apart, the UCI's rules clearly state that its illegal for any team to make an offer to any rider who’s not in the final year of his contact. If this principle is not adhered to why should teams invest time and money in up and coming riders?

p.s. what is a 'troll' and why are views 'from under the bridge' ?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I guess most new posters take a little time to get the feel of the place and introduce themselves a little. It's possible you came over as a bit opinionated and gobby for a new boy.
You're more than welcome and different opinions are fine and indeed to be welcomed.

Top Bottom