Slapped by car passenger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are not going to get anywhere pursuing it, you were assaulted in a type of assault that has caused death in the past but the police are not interested, I think you are better off writing to the papers with it as well as posting the experience on the net with the details of the vehicle, that way there is a record if someone else is assaulted by the occupants of this vehicle, pity you had no cam.

I get really peed of with this attitude by the police/courts that assaulting someone using a vehicle (or while in one) is treated as a minor vehicle incident, while the same actions taken without the use of a car are dealt with far more seriously.

Walk down the street and smash a metal bar over someone else’s head – you’re in big trouble, attach said metal bar to your car first, and then smash it over someone else’s head – plod might just think about having a word in your ear if they are not busy.

And how come, if someone else gets a parking ticket while borrowing your car, you as the owner are still responsible and have to pay, while if someone else uses your car in an assault, there is a general cop out clauses for all involved?

//rant mode now firmly on

Oh that’s right, sorry, I forgot, the poor, beleaguered, over taxed British motorist would probably have a big group girly cry, via the Daily Mail, if it was even suggested that they should take anymore responsibility for their actions…

//rant mode off – going for cup of tea

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
TwickenhamCyclist said:
//rant mode now firmly on

Oh that’s right, sorry, I forgot, the poor, beleaguered, over taxed British motorist would probably have a big group girly cry, via the Daily Mail, if it was even suggested that they should take anymore responsibility for their actions…

//rant mode off – going for cup of tea

Nice use of some retro C++ comments, old boy. So much better than these common <xml> tags.:rolleyes:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Twiggy said:
isn't failure to identify the driver in relation to an offence, an offence in of itself?

This is just a open question cause I'd like to see the little scrotes made to run-in Brooks saddles until their @rsed exploded but.... is it any offence or only offences related to the vehicle, because strictly the assault was not with the vehicle.

I coulda been a lawyer!

dodgy

Hang on everyone, what's with the negative attitude. The police do follow up these kind of incidents. I got slapped on the arse by a passenger a couple of months back, I took the number and reported it, he (the driver) has now been served with a section 59 (look it up, it's great legislation :biggrin: ).

Time and again I read this forum and sigh when I read of an incident and the rider is reluctant to report it. But for goodness sake, get the car plate! It's an essential skill you have to acquire (unfortunately) as a cyclist, make a mental note of registration plates as they pass and you get good at remembering them.

I've been slapped on the arse twice in recent years and the police have been round to my house on the same day both times.

sorry but a bit short of browse time right now but ...

there was a similar incident earlier this year. RegNo was taken and reported to police. Police interviewed the driver who immeadiately 'shopped' the passenger. Passenger was interviewed and cautioned. Not sure what happened after that.

Won't try for a link as I'm not 100% sure who it was (99.9% only).

Globalti

Legendary Member
All this fits with several posts I have made encouraging people to report drivers to the Police. The PNC is now used for recording these reports and if the car is subsequently seen by a car equipped with ANPR they will get stopped for a chat. More than 3 reports and they get a visit at home.

And yes, important that you report the number, the colour and make if possible and they will want to know who was in the car too.

For those living in Lancashire the number is 0845 1 25 35 45 and Greater Manchester is 0161 872 5050

dodgy

If you get a section 59 on the driver, he loses it next time someone so much as complains about spinning wheels in McDonald's car park.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
dodgy said:
Hang on everyone, what's with the negative attitude. The police do follow up these kind of incidents.....

That might be your experience but its not mine or that of many people on this forum. My complaint about the police is exactly as Mr TC describes it - antisocial behaviour is, by and large treated less seriously when it involves a vehicle, even though the consequences can be more serious.

dodgy

Well let's just say don't not report it because you've read on here that the police aren't interested then! You may live in an area with a competent police force (which I obviously do) so try it and if you don't get a good response, you'll know which category your local police falls into.

515mm

Just about on topic I think...

Got threatened with a "****in' punch you in the face" by a fifty year old bloke a couple of days ago. I was driving the company van at the time and he took exception to my instinctive horn warning and emergency stop that I performed as he cut me up - he was too impatient to wait for me to pass so he could change lanes.
If my van doors hadn't been locked (this is Swansea after all:tongue:) he'd've punched me for sure - he was out of his Previa and pulling at the door handle of my van trying to get to me. Not an experience I'd care to repeat.

I phoned the local bobbies and gave the reg no. and a description etc. A PC returned my call within the hour and said that the only thing they could conceivably charge him with, was driving without due care and attention. To warrant a breach of the peace charge, the incident would have to be witnessed by a police officer. PC Jones asked me what I wanted him to do. I reasoned that a driving charge would be unlikely to stick(PC Jones agreed) but that a stern word delivered in person at this guy's home might be in order. PC Jones agreed and said he'd be round to 'have a word with this fellow' that afternoon. Fingers crossed then....

col

Legendary Member
515mm said:
Just about on topic I think...

Got threatened with a "****in' punch you in the face" by a fifty year old bloke a couple of days ago. I was driving the company van at the time and he took exception to my instinctive horn warning and emergency stop that I performed as he cut me up - he was too impatient to wait for me to pass so he could change lanes.
If my van doors hadn't been locked (this is Swansea after all:tongue:) he'd've punched me for sure - he was out of his Previa and pulling at the door handle of my van trying to get to me. Not an experience I'd care to repeat.

I phoned the local bobbies and gave the reg no. and a description etc. A PC returned my call within the hour and said that the only thing they could conceivably charge him with, was driving without due care and attention. To warrant a breach of the peace charge, the incident would have to be witnessed by a police officer. PC Jones asked me what I wanted him to do. I reasoned that a driving charge would be unlikely to stick(PC Jones agreed) but that a stern word delivered in person at this guy's home might be in order. PC Jones agreed and said he'd be round to 'have a word with this fellow' that afternoon. Fingers crossed then....

Its a worrying thing when threatening words and behaviour and a breach of the peace have to be seen by the police to be acted on?Most i would think tend to happen when they are not there at a guess?

Top Bottom