Slapped by car passenger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheeler

I was riding home from work tonight at about 10pm when a car appeared alongside me. It seemed like a standard close overtake, when the passenger yelled "Alright Mate" out of the window. I naturally turned my head to see what was happening and was slapped across the face, not hard but still struck nevertheless. Something was smeared across my face too and got into my mouth, it tasted of chip fat and salt, I still feel sick now thinking about it. When I got home, it turned out to be tomato sauce which was a relief as I thought it was saliva.

Luckily I had a biro in my pannier so made a note of the car's number. Just spoke to Merseyside Police and the call handler was very helpful. As I live across the boundary in Cheshire, he gave me the option of reporting it to my local force (he made clear that this was entirely up to me). I accepted and got a reference number and will report the assault at my local police station in the morning. They will fax my statement across with the reference number to Merseyside for follow up.

Now, I don't expect anything more than the police to speak with the driver who will try to deny the incident. The guy I spoke with did say that the car will be tagged on the national computer though, so any further reports will be taken seriously (he also told me that this is the first report about this vehicle). In my opinion, two offences have been committed. Assault, and inconsiderate driving (the driver deliberately matched my speed and moved in). I'll ask the police to consider both charges when I speak to them tomorrow.

Spent the rest of the ride home swilling my mouth with water and spitting it out, still feel sick now (I've already said that, but it's bloody disgusting). B'stards.

Yuck – sorry to hear that – good luck with the police, and I hope they take it further, but don’t get your hopes up too much – there is unfortunately some real low life out there!

Sig SilverPrinter

Similar thing happened to me.Car which i thought was doing a v close over take heard a shriek which really made me jump as i've turned to look the girl in the passenger seat leant out the window and tried to push me off my bike when she missed she then spat at me.

Good luck with the police. That is a serious.

Yesterday I had an egg thrown at me. Of course the camera did a good job of catching the trajectory of the egg and I caught the perpetrators on film (will post later) from a distance. I'm not sure there is much use in doing anything about it though.

The egg missed me.

Mr Pig

TwickenhamCyclist said:
instant Karma might catch up with him

Oh yeah I like that! :0) Hope it hurt a lot.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry to hear of your experience - this sort of thing is stupidly dangerous, and the Police should take it very seriously (I think a rider in Kent was paralysed after being pushed off his bike by a car passenger).

Hopefully the little twunts will meet a nasty end. In the meantime, keep on at the police to do something about them.

jely

oh my god, that's shocking and even makes me feel sick inside just thinking about it!! There doesn't seem to be much respect and decency around anymore and it really saddens me to read of experience such as yours, Freewheeler. I hope karma does catch up to the bastard!!!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
IIRC there have been at least 4 pushing/slapping incidents in Kent in the last year or so, with one cyclist being killed as a result. Sickening.

A forward facing helmet cam is no use for this, I really need a Magnatom (TM) Arsecam. Especially considering my commute goes very close to Shire Lane, where the one incident occurred.

Top Bottom