Sleep problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catwoman

Once again I can't get to sleep. I have various issues at the moment such as finishing a part-time degree and various problems at work and they all seem to close in on me sometimes at night and I just cannot settle when it comes to getting to sleep.
Has anyone got any tips for soothing a troubled mind so I might get out of this rut? :blush:

sheddy

Legendary Member
(herbal) sleeping tablets ?
But shouldn't you be prowling around the neighbourhood ? ;-)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I'm in the same boat ... I've just got up after lying there awake for the past 45 mins - worrying about silly things.

In the middle of the night I use a hot toddy - but its too near to being morning now, I think breathing exercises ... (never works for me) are meant to help, or one that does work for me sometimes is saying a word like "the" over and over again but having to change the intonation each time. That's meant to make you concentrate on that activity and not on what you are worrying about.

That said - I'm awake so sometimes it just doesn't work.

For me its all about how much physical activity I've had during the day. When I'm office based or dont ride my bike I have real trouble getting to sleep/ waking up too early. Like today; 5.00am.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oi, wake up Catwoman, it's time to get up!!

I always fall into a deep sleep when I've had a sleepless night about half an hour before I have to get up, irritatingly, and feel like death warmed up.

tomb1960

I can't help your troubled mind, but on sleep.........I am almost certain I am right in saying that nobody actually understands why we need sleep. I sometimes can't get to sleep, more often wake up really early (sometimes as early as 03-00), and I have honestly just stopped worrying about it, I get up and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I lie awake thinking about things because I'm worried about forgetting them. My solution is to keep a notepad by the bed, decide what I am going to do about the problem and write a list of actions for tomorrow.

Also I make sure I only drink decaff tea and coffee after 6 pm.

To help you relax, lie flat on your back and consciously relax every muscle in your body by allowing each part to sink into the mattress. Start with your feet and finish with your jaw, which you will find to be surprisingly tense.

mickle said:
For me its all about how much physical activity I've had during the day. When I'm office based or dont ride my bike I have real trouble getting to sleep/ waking up too early. Like today; 5.00am.
ditto on the physical activity. Now the daylight hours have been extended I get out for an ride in addition to the commute and usually sleep better.

frog

I've found thinking of a relaxing situation helps a lot in preparing for sleep.

For me it's a small boat in a wide lagoon at sunset. There are cushions in the bottom of the boat and I can see the sun slipping below the horizon and gradually the colours fade to silouttes. All the time there there is the gentle rocking motion of the boat and water lapping at the sides. As the image darkens my breathing slows and the pulse hammering in my head fades away.

It's a rare night when the method doesn't work. You just have to find something which works for you. Good Luck

NickM

Veteran
rich p said:
I always fall into a deep sleep when I've had a sleepless night about half an hour before I have to get up, irritatingly, and feel like death warmed up.
I know that scenario only too well ;)

...but have been sleeping rather better recently :smile:

...I think because I had a quiet weekend, didn't do anything I didn't feel like doing and (a rarity for me) did no exercise, so didn't go to bed feeling particularly tired. It seems to have broken the vicious circle, anyway.

There was an interesting programme on the radio last week, still available on Listen Again (it's programme 4 here), about what sleep duration is and isn't normal.

ChrisKH

Guru
I swear by a milk based drink before bedtime. Had to give up caffeine after 5.00pm as I was waking at 2.00 am and worrying for a couple of hours about things that don't really matter.

Otherwise warm bath and a relaxation tape. And the realization that one day I'll be dead and the things that really matter are actually fast asleep within 20 feet of me. Quick check to see they're ok and I usually settle down safe in the knowledge that anything else is just not worth the hassle. Period.

domtyler

Über Member
catwoman said:
Once again I can't get to sleep. I have various issues at the moment such as finishing a part-time degree and various problems at work and they all seem to close in on me sometimes at night and I just cannot settle when it comes to getting to sleep.
Has anyone got any tips for soothing a troubled mind so I might get out of this rut? :ohmy:

If you look anything remotely like your avatar then I may have a few all natural methods of soothing you off to sleep! :biggrin:

Mac66

domtyler said:
If you look anything remotely like your avatar then I may have a few all natural methods of soothing you off to sleep! :biggrin:

They do say that some exercise is good before sleep!

Top Bottom