Sleep problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Arch said:
Yes, I saw the thing about meditation on BBC2 a couple of nights back and it seemed to make sense - they mentioned mindfulness - I was only half paying attention (I was knitting - another form of meditation in a way!)

Anychance you remember what the programme was? Missed that completely. I'll have to check if its available.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Have always been a light easily disturbed sleeper, occ have bouts of insomnia but they never seen to effect me the next day-never needed much anyway I can happily survive on 5 hrs a night
Sometimes my mind is too active at night so the MP3 player comes in handy

I tend to think the deepest thoughts in bed :ohmy:

ChrisKH

Guru
Dayvo said:
*note to self and everyone else* DO NOT think of BTFB in an outfit tonight! :ohmy:

Perfect delaying technique (at the risk of repeating myself). Might think I have only one thing on my mind though.:tongue:

I get periodic bouts of insomnia.

No tea or coffee after about 1 pm.
No TV or internet just before going to bed.
Writing the issues down before bed.
Meditation.
If I'm very tired, I'll take some valerian tablets. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but when I'm most tired is when I have most difficulty.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I get insomnia that comes and goes in cycles that goes along with other things. For me it is not necessarily a bad thing but the mind racing in the middle of the night and not to be able to get to sleep has sometimes been among the most agonising things for me. The key for me is that in my 20s I finally understand it and looking back can see it originated in very early childhood.

Arch's suggestion of going and doing something else is a very good one. It's never worked for me but it has been suggested in the past and worked for non-hardcore insomniacs who have had occasional bad stints but are otherwise pretty good sleepers. I don't find tea, tv, internet etc makes any difference whatsoever. The only thing which I think does make a diff is gaming which certainly prolongues the hours I'm awake. I don't find sleeping tablets work at all and refuse to take the extremely strong ones due to the side effects. The only thing I found that works is I find Rooibos tea quite relaxing so when I do sleep I sleep slightly better and am not normally dehydrated in the morning or sleep walking as much.

Top Bottom