Sleeping in graveyards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see no problem with that: don't think the priest would object
Priests wouldn't be around in the majority of those type of churches pat - they are countryside churches.

Many also even have picnic tables in the grounds for the annual festa/sagra.

More recently some, just some, have had walls built around though, or parks created around them, which i don't like as it separates them from the environment. I'm a convinced atheist but am very fond of those small sardinian churches

I don't know if there are similarly located spanish churches in the slanish interior. maybe the OP should investigate - he may be able to sleep easy.

All the best.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I don't know what graveyards are like all over Spain but around here (Nerja) there tend not to be any graves for you could sleep on. The bodies are placed inside a hole in a large wall and then bricked up. So you could sleep near the graves on the ground but not on them.

I been there and I love those, the best I've visited was the one in Poble Nou (BCN). But the ones in the interior are regular graveyards or a combination.

Priests wouldn't be around in the majority of those type of churches pat - they are countryside churches.

Many also even have picnic tables in the grounds for the annual festa/sagra.

More recently some, just some, have had walls built around though, or parks created around them, which i don't like as it separates them from the environment. I'm a convinced atheist but am very fond of those small sardinian churches

I don't know if there are similarly located spanish churches in the slanish interior. maybe the OP should investigate - he may be able to sleep easy.

All the best.

I know what I am looking at, I've visited enough of the things, nothing near the coasts as they tend to be like "smith 4188" describes, plus they are "active". Graveyards that will suit me, (often semi derelict) in the interior that are not, beyond a gate, secured, not "active" daily. They are set away from the town. It's not like sleeping in a graveyard is my preferred choice but I want to do the trip fast and cheap, if I see a suitable camping spot, great, but if not then I know where I can get another surface.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I been there and I love those, the best I've visited was the one in Poble Nou (BCN). But the ones in the interior are regular graveyards or a combination.

I know what I am looking at, I've visited enough of the things, nothing near the coasts as they tend to be like "smith 4188" describes, plus they are "active". Graveyards that will suit me, (often semi derelict) in the interior that are not, beyond a gate, secured, not "active" daily. They are set away from the town. It's not like sleeping in a graveyard is my preferred choice but I want to do the trip fast and cheap, if I see a suitable camping spot, great, but if not then I know where I can get another surface.

I suspect most would not have an issue with sleeping somewhere within the cemetery per se. It was your suggestion of actually sleeping on the gravestones themselves that sounded very wrong to a lot of people. Have you reconsidered that bearing in mind the responses you've had here?

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I suspect most would not have an issue with sleeping somewhere within the cemetery per se. It was your suggestion of actually sleeping on the gravestones themselves that sounded very wrong to a lot of people. Have you reconsidered that bearing in mind the responses you've had here?

Not lot of people have said it is very wrong, some have. I have considered and appreciated all the replies, but have not reconsidered as such. My preference is a good camping spot, second, in the graveyard, I'd like a nice spot in there too, rather than on the gravestone but my experience tells me this is often not possible.

Thank you for all the replies.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not lot of people have said it is very wrong, some have. I have considered and appreciated all the replies, but have not reconsidered as such. My preference is a good camping spot, second, in the graveyard, I'd like a nice spot in there too, rather than on the gravestone but my experience tells me this is often not possible.

Thank you for all the replies.
Well, I've not seen anyone here saying that sleeping on a grave is a good idea (other than you) but some have said it's definitely a bad idea. So of those that have expressed an opinion, it's 100% against

In case there's any doubt mark i'd have to say i'm agsinst.

It might seem like a clever idea, putting a bit of stone to good use, but there's a very high probability you would offend someone.

It would seem gratuitous.

Sleeping in a corner of an unsecured graveyard, but not on a grave ok i think, as long as not a scrap of mess left.

But to be honest i'd much prefer a british graveyard for this - more grass, less concrete.

Google image english churchyard and you will find countless ones way more comfortable looking than your initial pic.

Maybe you should tour closer to home.

Last edited:

iLB

Hello there
Church yard in Hungary, under a motorway bridge in Romania, on the shore of Lake Garda, behind a motorway service station in Czechoslovakia, a motorway toll booth in France... to name just a few of the places I've slept out/bivvied.

Just go for it, anything unexpected that happens just adds to the story.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've kept out as you seem to be determined to do it no matter what people say, but you seem to be turning what people aren't saying into a positive endorsement now. I'm 100% non religious, non churchgoer, no interest in the whole afterlife thing but I love ecclesiastical architecture and the peace & quiet of graveyards and like a visit. I do my level best in such places not to intrude or even walk on a grave, it is a recognition and memorial to somebody and their life. Grassy corner of a churchyard, ok, even if there may be unmarked burials there - who's to know? but if there was no free space I'd move on, I cannot imagine sleeping on a grave personally, I would find it a very disrespectful thing to do or to find someone doing to one of my loved ones, just because nobody sees you do something, doesn't make it any better.

Top Bottom