Sleightholme Moor Road (east of Tan Hill)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
After a bit of info, please.
In the Pennines, there is an old road/track which descends off Tan Hill ENE towards Bowes - it's called the Sleightholme Moor Road (marked as NCN70 and about 4km) and goes down to the eponymous farm, where the OS map shows the road as 'yellow' again. Using Streetview where it leaves the tarmaced road at grid ref 928075 I can see it's a bit gravelly but suspect it'd be OK on 28s, downhill. Please could someone share what the surface is like? I can see a few puddles at the farm end (Streetview) but nothing that would put me off on road tyres (28s). I know people's thresholds vary as far as road tyres on tracks but any description would be appreciated. Down not up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looks like a stone road in http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/211381 - I'd try it on my 28s but I know some on 25s would walk it. There's no smoothness data in OpenStreetMap.org for it AFAICT.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've just ridden Sleightholme Moor from W to E and recommend it highly. It will be more comfortable on wide tyres but I saw many cyclists on 25s, and with some caution and common sense I would be happy to do it on any tyres.
DSC_0537.JPG

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I was on a camping trip with a pal of mine a couple of years ago and we cycled up to Tan Hill from Barnard Castle using this route. We were fully laden with our camping gear and we had no problems other than the weather.

Top Bottom