Slipped disc L3 recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
L4/L5 here, I had a thread on it somewhere. Basically, proper pain for 9 months, thousands spent on experimental treatment involving a rack, but ended up with the surgery I was trying to avoid. During my pain found cycling pain free, leg balance went to about 65-35 and I wondered if I would ever recover. Not too long after surgery I was back to pretty much 50-50. I still get warning nerve pains in my left leg if I do silly things or don’t cycle enough. I did my first ever 10k run tonight and so far both calves hurt equally ^_^

I surprised myself with how much pain I was willing to endure over the 9 months until surgery. I twisted my body into a very unnatural position and used to come home from work in tears and lie on the floor all evening. When I woke up from surgery pain free, I realised in how much pain I had actually been in. My advice, you don’t have to live with the pain, don’t try and be a hero and do what the physio’s, sports therapists, chiro’s and consultants say. My GP was a disgrace, but when I saw people who knew their stuff things got moving along. I avoided surgery for too long, until the consultant said that I absolutely had to have it done. He was right.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
L4/L5 here, I had a thread on it somewhere. Basically, proper pain for 9 months, thousands spent on experimental treatment involving a rack, but ended up with the surgery I was trying to avoid. During my pain found cycling pain free, leg balance went to about 65-35 and I wondered if I would ever recover. Not too long after surgery I was back to pretty much 50-50. I still get warning nerve pains in my left leg if I do silly things or don’t cycle enough. I did my first ever 10k run tonight and so far both calves hurt equally ^_^

I surprised myself with how much pain I was willing to endure over the 9 months until surgery. I twisted my body into a very unnatural position and used to come home from work in tears and lie on the floor all evening. When I woke up from surgery pain free, I realised in how much pain I had actually been in. My advice, you don’t have to live with the pain, don’t try and be a hero and do what the physio’s, sports therapists, chiro’s and consultants say. My GP was a disgrace, but when I saw people who knew their stuff things got moving along. I avoided surgery for too long, until the consultant said that I absolutely had to have it done. He was right.
I guess it's also the damage I'm doing to the rest of my body by walking awkwardly. My right knee hurts only since I've been trying to get around more... Pilates DVD on the Xmas list...

pawl

Legendary Member
I also had an L3 hernated disc back in 1984 ,they didn’t do scans back then.Had a milligram dye injeted into the spinal column,showed up on the screen which disc was affected.At the time surgery tende to be a last resort.

I was advised by college who was a charge nurse to avoid surgery as at that it could leave me with some disability and to see an oesteopath.On leaving hospital I was given an epldural injection which did help.

On discharge I booked an appointment with the Oestepath.Six treatments and I was up and running.
I did have to go back to have further manipulation.I was about 44when all this occurred

since that time I haven’t touch wood not had any real problems.A physio advised me to be carful with posture,do core strengthening exercises and use walking poles when out hill walking and to lift correctly.

At 76 the only real symptoms of previous back problems are caused by bending over to long perhaps when gardening decorating etc.The only real residue is numbness to the out side of the right foot.I don’t know how old you are but keeping a stronger core as possible,stay supple.Dont sit/stand for to long.As you get older take more time/ rest over jobs that may stress your lower back.It can be a good excuse to get someone to do the job for you.Just mocking.

I usually manage to cycle on average a week split into manageable chunks. Cold and damp can cause a few problems but sensible clothing helps to ward off the aches.

pawl

Legendary Member
I guess it's also the damage I'm doing to the rest of my body by walking awkwardly. My right knee hurts only since I've been trying to get around more... Pilates DVD on the Xmas list...

Just had a thought try walking poles.Get the shop to show you how to use them..Some people set them to high or to low.it is suprising how much pressure they take off the knees and lower back even on flat surfaces.

vickster

Legendary Member
If the journey is that long, maybe a car or train would be better ;)
I was told to avoid sitting in cars for the time after my surgery. I was ferried from Harrogate to London lying across the back seat! My dad had a jag back then so it was a plusher ride than some :biggrin:

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Can you use a pair of crutches properly to get around?
They gave me only one! My threenager daughter stole it and rode off with it upstairs!

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Just had a thought try walking poles.Get the shop to show you how to use them..Some people set them to high or to low.it is suprising how much pressure they take off the knees and lower back even on flat surfaces.
I've got a decent set of leki poles from my mountaineering days.... I only tend to use them when off o the moor but it's a good call though. Maybe I'll put them in the car for emergency.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I was told to avoid sitting in cars for the time after my surgery. I was ferried from Harrogate to London lying across the back seat! My dad had a jag back then so it was a plusher ride than some :biggrin:
I had a 9.5 hours of driving the day before the pains started. My threenager also jumped on my back which probably didn't help!

Top Bottom