Slipped disc L3 recovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Four weeks since the pains started and two weeks in since my back went 'pop' and I did my first turbo session, which was brutal.
I have had nerve issues going down my right quad and have very little strength in the leg which is typical of this injury.
My question is will I ever get my strength back? Or is it lost for good and I just have to build up a reconnection to the nerve?
I'm trying to stay positive but the continuing nerve pain and lack of strength is a PITA and starting to affect me psychologically with the lack of sleep. I managed a whole 300m walk before I had to stop this morning! Getting better but it seems so slow.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a badly herniated disc 20 years ago. It may well have been L3 but I can't remember. It was certainly near there. It started as general lower back pain after I did some careless lifting at work and didn't keep my back straight. After a while, it developed into agonising stabs of pain whenever I twisted my upper body, even slightly. I also developed a dropped foot as the disc put pressure on my sciatic nerve. I went to an osteopath who lightened my wallet but didn't seem to be doing much good. My GP referred me to the physiotherapy department at Charing Cross for weekly sessions on a traction bed to stretch my spine. I was also sent to see a consultant. It turned out to be a surgeon who was keen to operate. He got quite miffed when I told him that I would rather see how further physiotherapy would work. The physiotherapists also made me do all manner of leg and back exercises both in the hospital and at home. Over the course of a few months things slowly improved until I was entirely pain free and I have been absolutely fine ever since. I think I have been very lucky. You are right, back pain is bad for morale because you are constantly anticipating severe pain at any moment. That wears you down. Every back problem is different but, for me, physiotherapy worked miracles. I wish you the very best of luck.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I had a badly herniated disc 20 years ago. It may well have been L3 but I can't remember. It was certainly near there. It started as general lower back pain after I did some careless lifting at work and didn't keep my back straight. After a while, it developed into agonising stabs of pain whenever I twisted my upper body, even slightly. I also developed a dropped foot as the disc put pressure on my sciatic nerve. I went to an osteopath who lightened my wallet but didn't seem to be doing much good. My GP referred me to the physiotherapy department at Charing Cross for weekly sessions on a traction bed to stretch my spine. I was also sent to see a consultant. It turned out to be a surgeon who was keen to operate. He got quite miffed when I told him that I would rather see how further physiotherapy would work. The physiotherapists also made me do all manner of leg and back exercises both in the hospital and at home. Over the course of a few months things slowly improved until I was entirely pain free and I have been absolutely fine ever since. I think I have been very lucky. You are right, back pain is bad for morale because you are constantly anticipating severe pain at any moment. That wears you down. Every back problem is different but, for me, physiotherapy worked miracles. I wish you the very best of luck.
Thanks. Things are getting better; they couldn't get much worse - I went to A&E it was so acute and the only pain killer that worked was morphine. Unfortunately they reckon I was overly sensitive (after waking in resus!)
The physio is keen I use the bike trainer but it was really demoralizing! At least the nerve pills I have are also antidepressants!
It's good to know that it does get better. I just have to get my head into the fact that it may take until Xmas to feel pain free...

vickster

Legendary Member
I did L3/4 about 25 years ago and had to have surgery as there was risk of paralysis according to the surgeon. My left calf and behind knee are still weirdly numb. I doubt that’ll change now and really only bothers me when I shave my leg or have a sports massage

I’ve had few issues since but I do tend to panic if I have any sort of major spasm and see the Physio asap. Like a few weeks when I bent forwards from the waist to put something on a table and it just pinged! Ouch! It had been grumbling a while before then mostly at night which considering how much pain medication I take for other joint issues is a bit concerning

I’ve had no imaging since the op and frankly while I can still stand upright, I don’t want to know what it looks like!

Although the op worked for me, 3 months of excruciating sciatica gone, I would exhaust all other options first!

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I did L3/4 about 25 years ago and had to have surgery as there was risk of paralysis according to the surgeon. My left calf and behind knee are still weirdly numb. I doubt that’ll change now and really only bothers me when I shave my leg or have a sports massage

I’ve had few issues since but I do tend to panic if I have any sort of major spasm and see the Physio asap. Like a few weeks when I bent forwards from the waist to put something on a table and it just pinged! Ouch! It had been grumbling a while before then mostly at night which considering how much pain medication I take for other joint issues is a bit concerning

I’ve had no imaging since the op and frankly while I can still stand upright, I don’t want to know what it looks like!
Interesting that you also got the feeling of it grumbling some time before it pinged. Same as me.. except i stood up from a chair and the pain went up and up.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting that you also got the feeling of it grumbling some time before it pinged. Same as me.. except i stood up from a chair and the pain went up and up.
Physio said that’s quite common. I’ll always have a weakness, no running, jumping, long walks or standing around especially on uneven ground irritate it. I have a weak core and would probably benefit holistically from Pilates but despite rheumatologist nagging I’m too lazy and disinterested in much other than cycling :blush:

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Physio said that’s quite common. I’ll always have a weakness, no running, jumping, long walks or standing around especially on uneven ground irritate it. I have a weak core and would probably benefit holistically from Pilates but despite rheumatologist nagging I’m too lazy and disinterested in much other than cycling :blush:
My SIL had a bad back and Pilates helped cure her. Problem is finding a course in the sticks of Devon!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I had a prolapsed disc last year and it was the most agonising thing ever. I was off work for 3 months and in the end I had an epidural into the spine. Throughout my 3 month recovery, walking was the king of exercises. Initially I couldn’t even get from the bed from the bathroom, but I started building up short walks around the house, then around the garden, then to the end of the road. After the epidural I started some general core strength exercises which I still need to do and then throughout the winter I worked out on the Turbo trainer. By the time spring arrived I’d recovered my previous fitness and put back the kgs I’d lost due to muscle wastage.

Two weeks since your back went ‘pop’ is still early days and I see no reason why you should not recover your previous fitness. Psychologically I found it tough going from 40 mile bike rides one moment to not even being able to walk down the stairs the next moment, and after 3 months on Tramadol / Naproxen, I found it a bit of a challenge coming of them, but with patience I made it and so will you.

vickster

Legendary Member
My SIL had a bad back and Pilates helped cure her. Problem is finding a course in the sticks of Devon!
Maybe the Physio can give you a home programme once the backpain isn’t acute

Tends to be my SIJ and muscles around that flare rather than a disc (well that one got removed or at least partially)

vickster

Legendary Member
I never really did any Physio back then. The GP (uni health centre) was so crap that when I finally saw the surgeon 3 months later (a family friend incidentally) it was an emergency.

His wife was a Physio and did assess me. Basically after the op, I didn’t do anything much for 3 months and then being young, kind of just got on with life albeit with a 6 inch scar!

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I had a prolapsed disc last year and it was the most agonising thing ever. I was off work for 3 months and in the end I had an epidural into the spine. Throughout my 3 month recovery, walking was the king of exercises. Initially I couldn’t even get from the bed from the bathroom, but I started building up short walks around the house, then around the garden, then to the end of the road. After the epidural I started some general core strength exercises which I still need to do and then throughout the winter I worked out on the Turbo trainer. By the time spring arrived I’d recovered my previous fitness and put back the kgs I’d lost due to muscle wastage.

Two weeks since your back went ‘pop’ is still early days and I see no reason why you should not recover your previous fitness. Psychologically I found it tough going from 40 mile bike rides one moment to not even being able to walk down the stairs the next moment, and after 3 months on Tramadol / Naproxen, I found it a bit of a challenge coming of them, but with patience I made it and so will you.
I remember those first few days... I could hardly walk two steps and have to stop with the burning in my right quad...

Ajax Bay

Guru
My experience: L4/L5 for me, aggravated and initiated during a really lovely run on the Dorset Coast (H(urt) Day). Bad sciatica, pain controlled by pain killer drugs which I needed for 3 weeks - in particular (see OP) allowed me to get some sleep.
Doctor/MRI and limited physio, and more physio and no running (or cycling) for 11 weeks, and then slowly back into running, continuing with the exercises from the physio. The sciatica slowly retreated up my leg to my lower back and then went. Back to good running speed 6 months after H Day and British (age group (M50)) Orienteering Champion a month after that. Has not come back to trouble me since but I am careful about activities that might place particular stress on my back. Doesn't stop me riding very long distances, though.:bicycle:
Two weeks since your back went ‘pop’ is still early days
So my message to the OP is to take it easy to start with, probably easier than you want to / are doing according to your OP, and then get back into it slowly (taking medical advice). Otherwise there's a danger of aggravating the tissues which need to heal, and you'll take longer to get back to full fitness. But you can get back there, with hard work. Need to be confident in your physio, and that she/he understands your sporting/physical values and what you seek to achieve.
do whatever physio tells you

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
My experience: L4/L5 for me, aggravated and initiated during a really lovely run on the Dorset Coast (H(urt) Day). Bad sciatica, pain controlled by pain killer drugs which I needed for 3 weeks - in particular (see OP) allowed me to get some sleep.
Doctor/MRI and limited physio, and more physio and no running (or cycling) for 11 weeks, and then slowly back into running, continuing with the exercises from the physio. The sciatica slowly retreated up my leg to my lower back and then went. Back to good running speed 6 months after H Day and British (age group (M50)) Orienteering Champion a month after that. Has not come back to trouble me since but I am careful about activities that might place particular stress on my back. Doesn't stop me riding very long distances, though.:bicycle:

So my message to the OP is to take it easy to start with, probably easier than you want to / are doing according to your OP, and then get back into it slowly (taking medical advice). Otherwise there's a danger of aggravating the tissues which need to heal, and you'll take longer to get back to full fitness. But you can get back there, with hard work. Need to be confident in your physio, and that she/he understands your sporting/physical values and what you seek to achieve.
Tackling the pain with anti inflammatory pills, codeine and a pint of beer... 2 hours until my nerve pills and I'm looking forward to it!

Top Bottom