Slippery when wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcard

Veteran
How do you know they are 'regular' tyres? What is a regular tyre?

I really don't want to spell it out completely as I'll die a little inside. Here's a clue:

Giant / giant

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Don't think about falling off or you will, relax and just ride as you normally do, with just a tiny bit of caution thrown in on bits you might think will cause a little problem (white lines / metal manhole covers).

The more you think about falling off the more chance you will, your body reacts with tensing up, thus causing a completely different riding style you'll not be used too. You'll also not enjoy the ride due to your concentration being placed on one thing.

So relax / ride your normal way / little bit of caution when needed/ have fun and enjoy :thumbsup:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
IMG_20140510_164445.jpg
Hi mate, here's a page from Joe friels 4th edition.
IMG_20140510_164049.jpg

If you aren't confident in the wet and aren't riding particularly good tires keep the bike as upright as you can.
And plan for the unexpected, ie oil diesel, leaves+ can you stop or reroute before you smack that fallen branch without causing harm to the rest of the group you're with.

I wouldnt change tire pressures or try anything new on the day that you aren't well versed with. Other than going slower.
Also bear in mind rain is normally accompanied with wind so watch cross winds. Bloody windy today in Gloucester. Pretty terrible. Nearly got a lift rather.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
Thanks all for your feedback :thumbsup:

Been riding for a few years now so not a newcomer just that i don't usually ride in the wet.
Came off late last year turning into a main road at no speed at all on a greasy road and that hurt so i am going to be that little bit cautious.
I run the tyres on the continental recommended pressures.95 on the front and 5-10 psi more on the rear.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
The first two hours was non-stop rain and i was very cautious especially going downhill and round corners.the worst thing was a puncture and a strong headwind in the last ten miles.
I've never seen so many people having punctures, someone said it was all the rubbish and stones on the wet roads being washed up.

NorcoRichie

*I will be riding a giant road bike with 25c tyres".....

with a bike of that size you should spend more on tyres

Top Bottom