Slugs invading my kitchen yuk!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Door gaps
^^ I have the same issue as the OP and they are getting past the river seal on my kitchen door (UPVC type).
I bought a roll of copper tape, and I was planning on sticking some on the threshold, but that would require cleaning said threshold, and almost certainly would be ripped out by the youngest

Last edited:
Can you not trace the trails to the point of entry? If not try spreading a fine dusting of flour around the kitchen perimeter then check it in the morning to find out where they are getting in. After that you will be in a better position to decide how and where to tackle the situation.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Not as far aa i can see. The doors and windows are all pvc type that are tightly fitting and well sealed into the render. I'm hedging my bets its the outlet pipe to the drain. It's a massive kitchen with multiple drainage outlets which are not all used. Who ever built it in the past must of had a huge family, or was expected one. I mean its got 27 double plug sockets for goodness sake. Blimey i only ever use 4 sockets at the most. Kettle, toaster and fridge and the microwave to cremate my food

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not as far aa i can see. The doors and windows are all pvc type that are tightly fitting and well sealed into the render. I'm hedging my bets its the outlet pipe to the drain. It's a massive kitchen with multiple drainage outlets which are not all used. Who ever built it in the past must of had a huge family, or was expected one. I mean its got 27 double plug sockets for goodness sake. Blimey i only ever use 4 sockets at the most. Kettle, toaster and fridge and the microwave to cremate my food
We get them in our kitchen from time to time, the seem to come up from under the floor and get between the skirting and floor boards. They can get through the most tightest of spaces. Have a look to see if there are any small gaps.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We used to have problems with slugs in the kitchen. As mentioned above, they can get in through very small holes indeed. I fixed the problem by going around the outside and squirting expanding foam around the drain outlet pipes. Since then, no slugs

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My Mum's house had the same problem.
The slugs used the outlet pipes from the kitchen which, because it was an Edwardian house, ran with an open end to a grid on a drain. I managed to find a modern plastic drain guard at B&Q, which just nicely fitted over the grid. Some cutting to accommodate the existing pipes and blocking off of the pre cast hole, sorted the problem. Although I was prepared to apply mastic to the edges of the guard to seal it fully if required.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How about using a few distraction objects. When I've had an ant problem I've put down sugar which made the ants head for that and not anything else. Maybe the OP could put rotting cabbages around his property to which the slugs should head towards. They're bored and just need a little mental stimulation, :rolleyes:so the cabbage would give them something to do/chomp on.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've gone t
Is it possibe they could be coming up sink drains?
Leave the sink plugs in and block sink overflow overnight if possible.
Yes, I know about u bends in drain pipes but these slugs got past them somehow:sad:.

I've gone to the kitchen in the middle of the night to find a slug in my sink. There was another climbing up the sink unit door and another on the draining board heading for the sink so they may not be coming up through the plughole.

On another night they seemed to be coming from under a skirting board.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm going to go through all these one by one and get to the bottom of it and hopefully no more slim trails through the kitchen floor.
I think a fine close fitting mesh over the drain cover is the first port of call and will see if that does the trick.
Thanks again all:=)

D

Deleted member 1258

We used to get them in the front room of our last house, a Victorian pile built in 1900, we eventually found out they were living in the void under the floor and squeezing up through small gaps under the skirting boards, as others have said they can get through the most tiny gaps. We increased the cleaning and made sure any dropped crumbs and stuff were cleaned up straight away and when I redecorated I blocked all the holes I could find.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've got some onions in the fridge that are packaged in a fine mesh. Cutting the mesh off will be perfect for slipping over the small outside drain cover. The waste pipe just ends underneath to cover, so I'll brave the weather and go and fit it and see what happens

Top Bottom