Smackhead Express - Raleigh Routier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Nah, OLD spacing is 120mm which IIRC suits 5-7sp freewheels; a cassette setup would be 8sp+ and 130mm spacing which is a act of brutality too far IMO... while any changes of this ilk would require many new parts and associated cost.

As it stands the bike only owes me about £60-odd for over a thousand miles covered and I relish the challenge of keeping it going on a budget :smile:

Yup.. shame but I think despite it's pseudo-touring pretences it's only intended to pop down the shops and back. It seems to be the same frame as some of Raleigh's low-end racers from the same era; I assume they have no bosses either..

Thanks - not sure that would fit a modern, bolt-on cage however..? Really I'm looking for something that will attach to the frame without damage and provide standard mounting bosses..

Will it not fit over the cage? if your worried about scratches line with insulation tape or gorilla tape.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
If you're not going for period correct parts I can suggest these https://amzn.eu/d/g2hNqiZ
I have a set on each of my fork legs and they're pretty stable. The rubber channels for zip ties should prevent any paint damage.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If you're not going for period correct parts I can suggest these https://amzn.eu/d/g2hNqiZ
I have a set on each of my fork legs and they're pretty stable. The rubber channels for zip ties should prevent any paint damage.

Thanks - not overly keen on the zip ties, but probably the least-worst budget solution I've seen so far :smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thanks - not overly keen on the zip ties, but probably the least-worst budget solution I've seen so far :smile:

There's these aswell https://amzn.eu/d/8x9Yqsm
I tried these too but wasn't impressed with the plastic threads and plastic bolts. Not enough tension really but I used them to help secure an ebike battery.
The number of bottle cage clamps/bodges is ridiculous. The gizmos in my previous post are so far the best.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

There's these aswell https://amzn.eu/d/8x9Yqsm
I tried these too but wasn't impressed with the plastic threads and plastic bolts. Not enough tension really but I used them to help secure an ebike battery.
The number of bottle cage clamps/bodges is ridiculous. The gizmos in my previous post are so far the best.

Thanks - I thought those looked OK but didn't like the price much and if they have plastic thread / generally don't work, that's them off the list!

Appreciate the real-world feedback about the Zefal items; will let the idea sit for a bit and probably get some ordered as they seem like the best option from over here too, currently :smile:

cycling_eejit

Über Member
If your water bottle cage has tabs on the mounting bracket, like this one -

GUEST_d268ad6e-33b7-4e3d-bcbf-8cc903c81a6f_1.jpeg

Then a couple of jubilee clips would do the job to attach to the frame.

Hose_clips-600x600.jpg

Can't get cheaper than that!

Last edited:

cycling_eejit

Über Member
Thanks, but OCD brain says no :tongue:

😀
For a neater version of the same idea there is a King Cage clamp that includes the water bottle cage bolt.
king-cage-cage-bolt-clamp-33.jpg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

😀
For a neater version of the same idea there is a King Cage clamp that includes the water bottle cage bolt.
View attachment 691618

Thanks - that certainly looks a lot nicer! However, I think I'd still want some padding on the frame and am dubious whether the counterbored holes in my bottle cage would play nicely with nuts..

Last edited:

Oldbikefan

Bloody right.

Actually I do have an old cage it can have; but am yet to find an obviously acceptable way of fixing it to the (boss-less) downtube..

I have the same problem with my 1980/1 Dawes Galaxy. Which is odd seeing as it's supposed to be a touring bike. I shall have to investigate the suggested solutions. Another option would be a bar mounted cage?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I have the same problem with my 1980/1 Dawes Galaxy. Which is odd seeing as it's supposed to be a touring bike. I shall have to investigate the suggested solutions. Another option would be a bar mounted cage?

That is bizarre.. IIRC the Routier was also touted as a budget touring bike, but is really just a glorified / stylised generic utility frame and obviously at the other end of the market to the Galaxy. I think a bar-mounted cage would look totally in-keeping with this kind of bike; however in my case bar space is limited and I already have a cage that I'd like to use.

A bit of an update; and welcome break from the past week of sleep-deprived Brompton-facing hyperfocus..

A few weeks ago the bottom bracket started clicking on alternate pedal strokes. This turned out to be because the lockring had become loose, allowing a bit of float in the adjustable side of the BB assy. Unfortunately I was completely devoid of tools for this job so had to wait until I'd sorted some.

After the usual agonising over the available options I opted for a Super-B "unversal hook tool". Since the adjustable side of the BB only needs gently tweaking up to preload the bearings, this can be done using an adjustable spanner (or ideally two 16mm spanners), without removing the pedal..

img_1058-jpg.jpg

I managed to get the assy nipped up with no dramas. By its fairly crude nature the hook tool is pretty unstable and care has to be taken to ensure that it's properly aligned with both the notch and circumference of the lockring to prevent it slipping and risking damage to everything involved (including fingers).

IMG_20230620_181417.jpg

I've not had chance to test-ride it yet, but loading up alternate pedals while static with the brakes provoked no noise :smile:

On to the bottle mount fiasco; and thanks to the generosity of fellow forum member @DCBassman these dropped though my door a while ago - thanks Den!

20230602_090442-jpg.jpg

Yesterday I got the chance to fit them and as usual what started off as a two-minute job escilated.. The supplied button head bolts for the cage had too-large-a-head to fit so these were swapped out for some capheads I had lying around. The rubber inserts were too long for my skinny tubes so had to be trimmed to length, while the ends of the straps were a bit tatty so trimmed ever-so slightly to tidy them up.

Unfortunately I managed to scratch the frame with one of the retaining screws I'd fitted since it was projecting from the bottom of one of the mounts and evidently came into contact with the tube while I was tightening the straps. Only a problem cosmetically on an old, cheap frame that already has plenty of battle damage; but irritating all the same.

Anyway, I finally got the mounts on along with the venerable TacX cage that came off my old Giant I bought nearly 20yrs ago. Since the screws that tighten the mounts' straps are plastic you can't get a lot of torque on them before the key slips in the head, but I think I got them sufficiently tight as they seem pretty secure.

IMG_20230620_180717.jpg

Granted, a bit incongruous with the rest of the silver finishing kit, but can't complain for stuff I already had / have been kindly donated.

Looking forward to some accessible refreshment on my next outing on the Routier. Thanks again Den :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom