Smackhead Express - Raleigh Routier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Stick a new saddle on it for it's birthday, and some decent black bar tape.

Cheers - I'm certainly very tempted, however so far have resisted since I don't want to make it any more thievable; not that this is a huge concern currently as my living situation means it never gets left outside the pub (although hopefully this will change in future).

I think if I did spruce it up I'd go with brown tape and saddle; have seen the odd tatty Brookes on offer which has been tempting. I think I also need to be quite careful with saddle choice in terms of layback and compliance as the original came off due to being too far forward, while the gas pipe frame can be a bit of a bone shaker..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Stick a new saddle on it for it's birthday, and some decent black bar tape.

bar tape looks better a bit worn

DSCN0179.JPG

oh and btw that is black tape

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

bar tape looks better a bit worn

View attachment 654678

oh and btw that is black tape
"A bit"? :laugh:

Probably a good theft deterrent though..

I'd be putting some basic cork tape on - it's not expensive, and contact points should be 'nice', so decent saddle and bar tape.
Yeah, again my main reason for not it keeping it tatty looking. IMO the original bar tape has done very well to last thing long; however it isn't very comfy and I'm on the fence with the looks.

I've brought the saddle home in an effort to re-cover it this weekend; so (materials permitting) depending on how much of a mess I make of that the saddle issue might be forced.. am keeping an eye on cheap used examples on ebay ;)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I find bar tape quite important. I've a 'brooks' copy from Planet X on one bike, that was cheap and comfy, then I needed tape for my other bike, but I was away from home and got 'stung' at a local bike shop (as you do) but it's a very nice tape, comfy and grippy. Was worth it as it went on the best bike !

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any old cheapo saddle from a scrap BSO should do the job on a hack bike. One of mine is wrapped in duct tape with a bit of thin packaging foam under it for comfort. it looks horrible, but no-one has nicked it.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Any old cheapo saddle from a scrap BSO should do the job on a hack bike. One of mine is wrapped in duct tape with a bit of thin packaging foam under it for comfort. it looks horrible, but no-one has nicked it.

Indeed; that was the source of the current saddle.

I was going to try to re-cover this one or maybe fall back on the gaffer tape, however in the end thought I'd treat the bike to a decent replacement and scored this on ebay earlier:

s-l1600.jpg

It wasn't much more than the used rotters / cheapo new stuff and is in-keeping with the bike.

It'll be less compliant than the fat sprung item currently fitted but should be better than the solid, non-adjustable original :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just drawn back to this post by @wafter 'Liking' this post of mine...

I put together a singlespeed bike at low cost and the temptation is always to make it better, but I wanted it to be a knockabout bike that I wasn't afraid to lock up outside shops (a) because it would be less tempting to steal and (b) because it wouldn't be a big financial loss if someone stole it anyway. So, I don't think you should spend much more on it, except... perhaps to replace the wheels? (See below! :whistle:)
Funnily enough, I had just been looking at THESE fine Spa Cycles singlespeed audax frames. I would LOVE to buy one and build a really nice singlespeed bike but then I would be scared to use it the way I use the current cheap bike. I would have to keep the old bike just for shopping trips, and I am getting swamped by bikes already!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I was just drawn back to this post by @wafter 'Liking' this post of mine...

Funnily enough, I had just been looking at THESE fine Spa Cycles singlespeed audax frames. I would LOVE to buy one and build a really nice singlespeed bike but then I would be scared to use it the way I use the current cheap bike. I would have to keep the old bike just for shopping trips, and I am getting swamped by bikes already!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one battling that circular problem of buying something for utility then realising that actually, it's really too nice for that.

So far the Routier is the only bike I have that I'm happy to leave locked up anywhere for a length of time - it owes me the least of the bikes I have but is so valuable for this reason!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Having got to work this morning and inspected the bike after last week's buckled rear wheel incident, it transpires that I've broken a spoke :sad:

Typically this has happened on the drive side so the cassette will have to come off, something for which I don't have a tool.

I do have a (seemingly very similar) ally wheelset from a boggo "Professional" BSO and have long mooted the idea of swapping them over (or re-lacing the rims onto the Raleigh hubs).

For now think I'm going to take the path of least resistance and try to swap the complete rear wheel onto the bike then maybe re-lace and replace both if this works.

Fun fun fun - although I can't complain too much considering that I've got maybe 800 miles out of the comprehensively battered rear wheel before the spoke let go..

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

What is the cassette you need to remove?

I’m in Oxford, may be able to help

Thanks! As usual things haven't gone according to plan, since the "spare" wheel from the BSO is 6sp with a corresponding 126mm axle spacing, while the Routier is 5sp 120mm.. so no straight swaps to be had here :rolleyes:

So, I'm going to accept that the bike will be out of action for a while and look to strip both wheels and rebuild once decent one using the ally rim (and possibly spokes) from the BSO and hub / freewheel from the Routier.

I think I need a Shimano splined tool for the freewheel from the Routier:

12x8_IMG_5589a.jpg

...and a Suntour two-notched tool for the freewheel from the BSO:

12x8_IMG_5573a.jpg

I'm happy to put my hand in my pocket to buy the splined tool as this appears more common and will be compatable with the bits I'm keeping. If you happen to have the notched tool I'd much appreciate the opportunity to pull off the (rusty, sloppy, generally knackered) freewheel assy from the rim-donor. Of course if you have both it'd be rude not to do both at the same time - thanks ^_^

I have plenty of questions left about compatability, but will post that in another thread in technical where it'll get more views..

Last edited:
Top Bottom