Small mesh storage bag for gilet/knee warmers etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhotographerW2

montanebag.jpg

I'm riding over the Alps in June and have been using the montane waterproof jacket mesh bag to carry armwarmers and gilets in the past few weeks on sportives, etc.. In an ideal world it would be great to find a similar but larger mesh bag in which to store knee warmers, gilet, arm warmers and waterproof jacket. It wouldn't be very elegant, but it would at least leave my jersey free for bars/gels, etc.

If anyone has any thoughts short of a wicker basket on the front of bike, it would be great to hear.

Thanks.

R

lowrider73

Not sure if George @ Asda or Asda Living Stores still do them. but I got a few George mesh bags for camping a couple of years ago. I shop at Asda, I will keep a eye out on for any on sale.

OP
OP
P

PhotographerW2

Thanks. The problem with those is that thye don't have a velcro loop/strap to attach them to the bike (my Selle Italia saddle's got a handy hole at the back to loop it through). Also a squarer or rounder shape is better so there's no risk of it touching the rear wheel.

I hope I don't have to end up buying a second Montane jacket and chucking away the jacket!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
How about these bags at Alpkit?

Otherwise you can get bigger wedge bags than that. I have a Carradice one that is 6 litres which is probably a bit big but theres a number of 2-3 litre ones around.

ChristinaJL

I have one of these topeak bags which sit behind the stem on the top tube. I put all my energy food and drink in here and that leaves my saddle bag/jersey pocket for my armwarmers etc.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have put these on my saddle - but rarely put the carradice saddlebag on. What I tend to do is bundle up any extra clothes inside the jacket, then use these to strap it on behind the topeak wedgebag. Could also fix some straps on one of those alpkit bags I suppose.

Fiona N

Veteran
I use the saddle bag loops on my saddle to loop a couple of velcro strips through. These allow me to just roll arm warmers/gilet up and stick them on just above the saddle pack. Don't move, dangle or otherwise get in the way. I do the same when I need to carry a spare jacket too.

potsy

Rambler
I have one of these topeak bags which sit behind the stem on the top tube. I put all my energy food and drink in here and that leaves my saddle bag/jersey pocket for my armwarmers etc.

I have one of these too, great little storage space for my camera and phone when out on a leisure ride.
Not sure you'd get much more in there though, maybe room for a gilet.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The Topeak Tri bags are good - but the mesh ones are NOT rainproof, and they tend to be loose fitting on (narrower) steel frame tubes. These top tube bag are good too, my LBS sells slightly smaller ones - not out of place on a road bike - for 7.99. Don't buy one if you have down tube shifters. Straps for holding things to saddle packs etc? - use nylon toeclip straps - and you can use an old drinks bottle with the top cut off as a container for rainjacket, leg warmers etc, if you have a bottle cage going spare.

OP
OP
P

PhotographerW2

The Topeak Tri bags are good - but the mesh ones are NOT rainproof, and they tend to be loose fitting on (narrower) steel frame tubes. These top tube bag are good too, my LBS sells slightly smaller ones - not out of place on a road bike - for 7.99. Don't buy one if you have down tube shifters. Straps for holding things to saddle packs etc? - use nylon toeclip straps - and you can use an old drinks bottle with the top cut off as a container for rainjacket, leg warmers etc, if you have a bottle cage going spare.

I think my big knees would knock into that. I've already got a top tube Topeak bag (thanks, Christina), and my legs touch it when I'm out of the saddle...

zacklaws

Guru
If I can attach a velcro loop, one of those could work. Either way they look useful for partitioning stuff in my bike box. Thanks.

I've just bought three of these, ordered them yesterday and got them this morning, it should be possible to fasten a loop on them, but the smaller one will fasten under the saddle and the larger ones will strap to the seat post perfectly

Top Bottom