Smoking ............... No more.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Realised last week that it was a year since I quit. Started aged 12, been on 20+ a day pretty much since then, so 25 years worth:ohmy: Was my third or 4th attempt, and the second effort since losing mum to cancer 3 years ago (another 20+ a day smoker). Patches again, and cycling which worked wonders for dealing with the build up of aggression I had experienced every time. Still get occasions when I'd light up no problem though, but they tend to be fleeting moments now so I bite my tongue:smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
When I was at secondary school, for PE class they occasionally sent us running around a 1.5 mile course on a quiet local road.

Some of us used to stop half way round at a point with a high hawthorn hedges out of site from the school for a sneaky fag:rolleyes:

I remember doing things like that. How terrible was that. can you Imagine doing that today ?

welsh dragon

I had no idea that kind of thing still goes on. It just goes to show that all the things the government are doing to stop people smoking, and to stop young people from taking up the habit just aren't working. It doesn't matter how you hide cigarettes in a shop or how graphic the pictures are that you put in the packs, it still does not work.

The bottom line is people have to want to give up. If they don't, then nothing will work.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
^@Welsh Dragon, yep very true. Its why the NHS teams get you to do a pre-quit questionairre to assess your readiness to quit before you start, a half hearted attempt is likely to fail, and repeatedly failing to quit can leave some smokers feeling they'll never be able to give up.

I gave up on the 14th October 2008, yes the quitters tend to remember the exact date as its such a big deal its etched in my memory. I smoked for over 20 years and my big motivator was 2 fold, firstly I'd got the point where I realised I smoked for more of my life that I had'nt, and secondly my mum asked me when I last did'nt have one and I honestly could'nt remember. I went total cold turkey, the first 2 months were hellish but gradually the cravings get less an now I know I'll never go back to them. Its funny I was still dreaming I was a smoker for about 2 years after I quit which shows the power they have over you. Now I'm totallly ciggy free when I'm awake or asleep^_^

This time of year I'm always reminded of the benefits of quitting as every January I'd pretty much have bronchitis after overdoing at chrimbo and would wheeze through the remaining winter months. Good luck all potential quitters, you won't regret it. Its a bit sad really but quitting is one of the things in my life I'm most proud of doing. Its a bit like the old saying 'how do you know if someones given up smoking?' ...'they'll bloody tell you about it of course....over and over and over again.

hehe and I too used to smoke my way around all the MTB trail centres in Wales rewarding myself with a fag when i got to the top of the big hills:wacko:

tyred

Legendary Member
why don't they just ban them

Easy to answer - ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

welsh dragon

why don't they just ban them

Cigerattes bring in huge amounts of money in revenue thats why they wont ban it. And if they ban fags, they then have to consider alcohol, because large numbers of people die or are made ill and or cost the nhs huge sums of money. And if they do that then they have to consider obese people and the amount of money that they cost the nhs etc etc. And the list goes on and on.

welsh dragon

Typical do gooders interfering yet again. They complain when people try to help themselves, but if they didn't then they would still be complaining. They should leave people alone to use whatever means they can to quit.

Top Bottom