Smoking ............... No more.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice to see you here.

Thanks, its good to see I am not the only ex smoker here...........I was even embarrassed, so never mentioned I used to smoke

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thanks, its good to see I am not the only ex smoker here...........I was even embarrassed, so never mentioned I used to smoke

There are quite a few of us. It can be embarassing to admit to things like this, and even to the fact that even after we give up, sometimes we still want the dreaded fags now and again.

welsh dragon

I know what you mean. It is a great achievement for anyone who suceeds. Cigs are very addictive and it can be very difficult to give up.

welsh dragon

I gave up on the last day in june 2012 after smoking for 45 years. I started when I was 12 and tried to give up numerous times. When I finally managed it it was the best feeling in the world.

Can't believe I have missed this thread completely. My name is John and I'm an ex smoker. Gave up about 10 years ago on third attempt after about 45 years as well. Cold turkey on the way to hospital for an overnight operation. It was good to tick 'non smoker' on the admission form. I did admit that it was only hours but intended to make it permanent.

Good luck to everybody who is still work in progress.

welsh dragon

Can't believe I have missed this thread completely. My name is John and I'm an ex smoker. Gave up about 10 years ago on third attempt after about 45 years as well. Cold turkey on the way to hospital for an overnight operation. It was good to tick 'non smoker' on the admission form. I did admit that it was only hours but intended to make it permanent.

Good luck to everybody who is still work in progress.

Cheers.welcome aboard. Nice to have you here.

tyred

Legendary Member
Really starting to feel benefits now that I've stopped coughing up shoot.

I'm amazed at how quickly I get my breath back after a difficult climb. Food actually has taste.

Shame it took me 22 years to work out that smoking does absolutely nothing for you at all apart from causing untold damage to your health and depleting your bank account. My bank must be wondering if I am still alive so infrequently have I taken money from the ATM this year!

welsh dragon

I never coughed, but there was always a tightening in my chest as if it was being squeezed. Scary really, but at least that has gone now. I couldn't really expand my chest either. But now I can. Give it another few months and you will notice other changes as well. Well done.

tyred

Legendary Member
I did feel a slight tightness in my chest too but the coughing was the worst for a period of 3 days or so.

I actually asked someone for a fag before going into my salsa class last week. I didn't want to but I felt the only alternative was to cough and splutter all over my dance partner but thankfully the coughing has stopped now.

welsh dragon

I did feel a slight tightness in my chest too but the coughing was the worst for a period of 3 days or so.

I actually asked someone for a fag before going into my salsa class last week. I didn't want to but I felt the only alternative was to cough and splutter all over my dance partner but thankfully the coughing has stopped now.

Well done for not giving in.:thumbsup:

Mr Peps

Well done to everyone who quit.

I smoked for 34 years with just just one year I managed to stop.
I've done a lot of cycling in the last 10 years and I think that actually masked the effects as I felt fit!
I used to do a 50+ mile ride and get home and have a cigarette. Seems utterly mad now.

Not had a cigarette for over two months and using an e cig. The previous time I have up I used NRT and it was a nightmare but with this it's actually very easy and I'm cutting down the nicotine strength in that. Think I've cracked it.
No real increase in average speed yet but I don't spend the first few miles clearing my lungs.

My partner is thinking holiday with the money saved later in the year but I think she nees to know how much cycling has helped so she needs to support me by encouraging me to spend £ on another bike. Wish me luck

welsh dragon

Well done to everyone who quit.

I smoked for 34 years with just just one year I managed to stop.
I've done a lot of cycling in the last 10 years and I think that actually masked the effects as I felt fit!
I used to do a 50+ mile ride and get home and have a cigarette. Seems utterly mad now.

Not had a cigarette for over two months and using an e cig. The previous time I have up I used NRT and it was a nightmare but with this it's actually very easy and I'm cutting down the nicotine strength in that. Think I've cracked it.
No real increase in average speed yet but I don't spend the first few miles clearing my lungs.

My partner is thinking holiday with the money saved later in the year but I think she nees to know how much cycling has helped so she needs to support me by encouraging me to spend £ on another bike. Wish me luck

Well done to you and keep up the good work. Many congrats indeed. Keep us informed re the new bike. Tell your OH we think you need one as well.:laugh:

Top Bottom